Security

Occasional Contributor I

Guest authentication by sending sms

Currently I have an open SSID with guest authentication via sms. Clients authenticate by entering their phonenumber in the captive portal and the sms-gateway will send them their login-code.

+/- 5000 sms/month... and I'm paying for this :(

So I am looking for a solution where the client sends a code (e.g. provide by the captive portal) by sms to a specific number and then get instant access to the wireless network.

Any idea if this is possible with clearpass and if so, how to set this up?

Thanks !

Guru Elite

Re: Guest authentication by sending sms

How would the client get the code?  What would the client need to know to put the code in?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Occasional Contributor I

thank you for your reply.

E.g. when a client connect with an SSID, he get a captive portal that will provide the client (mac address) a unique code, "send "code" to 1234 and get access to the Free WiFi network".

The sms provider then knows the phone number of the client and send it back with the received code to clearpass, so then clearpass can match the phone number to the mac address of the client.

something like this ???

Guru Elite

But anyone that can "see" that network can get a code, then?  If only authorized people can "see" and connect to the network, just let them click "accept" and let them on.  If unauthorized people can see the network, you might as well just put a username and password by the receptionist that everyone has access to.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Occasional Contributor I

It's intended for a public WiFi network. So anyone can connect to the network, only, for legal purposes I need to authenticate the user. sms (phone number) is the only accepted authentication method.

Guru Elite

Clearpass cannot read SMS, only send them.

If you implement it the way you want, you would need to be able to tell people what the SMS number is securely and decide what numbers you are going to respond to.

ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Guru Elite

You'd need to write your own web app to handle that workflow and interact with ClearPass via the REST API.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: