Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Help Tuning Aruba 6.3.1.9 and AP-105's for Roaming and Lync

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Help Tuning Aruba 6.3.1.9 and AP-105's for Roaming and Lync

Posted Sep 09, 2014 05:21 PM

We have an Aruba W-3400 (Dell Branded....) and AP-105's for our access points.  I currently have them broadcasting two SSID's, both are just WPA2 PSKs on seperate VLAN's, one for internal clients and one for guests.  We experience pretty slow handoff between AP's no matter the device, whether it's one of our Dell Optiplex 6430u laptops, Samsung Galaxy phones, or IOS devices it takes a while before the devices seem to pick back up on the AP they've just moved to.

We use Lync 2013 as our phone system, and I've begun reading the Aruba SDN/Lync integration guide and plan on getting that set up soon, but I'd really like to improve handoff/roaming for wifi devices, I see more and more users being mobile in the office and I want to make sure our Wifi is tuned to best support them!

I'm pretty new to Aruba and I started looking at the Roaming guide but only found one for Aruba OS 3.3 and didn't want to follow it without checking with the group first and seeing if it's still applicable.

Any tips on evaluating our current roaming/handoff between APs?  What should my first steps be?

Thanks!

Brian

• 2.  RE: Help Tuning Aruba 6.3.1.9 and AP-105's for Roaming and Lync

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 09, 2014 05:23 PM
    Do you have ClientMatch enabled?

• 3.  RE: Help Tuning Aruba 6.3.1.9 and AP-105's for Roaming and Lync

Posted Sep 09, 2014 05:29 PM

Yep, you can see my ARM setup below -- I didn't tweak much, just left most things default across the board

armprofile.png

• 4.  RE: Help Tuning Aruba 6.3.1.9 and AP-105's for Roaming and Lync

Posted Sep 09, 2014 05:30 PM

The ARM config is the same on both A and G radios

• 5.  RE: Help Tuning Aruba 6.3.1.9 and AP-105's for Roaming and Lync

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 10, 2014 01:57 AM

Bryan,

Since last week there is a Microsoft Lync over Aruba validated reference design guide available on Airheads:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Lync-Over-Aruba-WiFi/ta-p/199813

That covers all topics for running Lync over Wireless, like network, QoS, Microsoft Lync SDN integration, etc.

Herman

• 6.  RE: Help Tuning Aruba 6.3.1.9 and AP-105's for Roaming and Lync

Posted Sep 10, 2014 09:37 AM

Thanks Herman -- I'll definitely review that!

I didn't see any section in though about improving hand off between AP's, which is something I'd like to address before I get into the QOS and SDN Integration.  Any suggestions for 6.3 and really slow hand off between APs?

Thanks!

Brian

• 7.  RE: Help Tuning Aruba 6.3.1.9 and AP-105's for Roaming and Lync

Posted Sep 10, 2014 09:46 AM
    csengin3,

The hand-off will greatly depend on the type of clients are using the wi-fi, simply enabling client-match may help but may require some tweaking.

You will definitely want to look at client-match logs on the controller and see what they are telling you.

Another customer of ours had their configuration tweaked.
    Arm was tweaked and the ssid-profile was tweaked.

in Arm, the following was changed
    cm-sticky-snr
    cm-sticky-snr-delta
    cm-lb-client-thresh
    cm-steer-timeout

in the ssid-profile
    max-retries
    a-beacon-rate
    a-tx rates
    g-tx-rates

again, this helped this particular client and it may not help you but it is to give you a starting point.

I suggest you turn on debugging, look at the client-match logs if roaming and handing off is not functioning the way you like. If you are still running into issues, open a TAC case or get your local SE involved to help you

• 8.  RE: Help Tuning Aruba 6.3.1.9 and AP-105's for Roaming and Lync

Posted Sep 10, 2014 09:59 AM

Thanks Pascal!

I'll turn those debug logs on for some different client types and see what I see.