Security

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Issues with CPPM 6.5 and accounting proxying

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Issues with CPPM 6.5 and accounting proxying

Posted Mar 20, 2015 08:29 AM

Just about to log this as a support call  but thought I'd see if anyone else is seeing this.

I am experiencing an issue with proxying RADIUS accounting packets to a 3rd party RADIUS server ( freeradius 2.2.5)  from within a clearpass 6.5 service.

While everything seems to work initially , eventually  all auth requests fail as the policy server has become unresponsive.  This is irrespective of the type of authentication.

Below is the log entry for a MAC auth that usually works. The only difference being that I've enabled the accounting proxy option in the service definition.

======
    Request Details Summary -
     Session Identifier: R000015dd-01-550c09d4
     Date and Time: Mar 20, 2015 11:51:48 GMT
     Username: 00-1A-E8-54-7E-19
     End-Host Identifier: 00-1A-E8-54-7E-19
     Access Device IP/Port: 10.4.4.107:67116963
     Audit Posture Status:
     System Posture Status:
     Login Status: REJECT

Policies Used -
     Service:
     Authentication Method:
     Authentication Source: None
     Authorization Source:
     Roles:
     Enforcement Profiles:
     Service Monitor Mode:

Alerts -
     Error Code: 106
     Error Category: Internal error
     Error Message: Internal error in RADIUS server
     Alerts for this Request -
       RADIUS: Service Categorization failed
    Cannot send request to Policy server

==========

In addition to this a watchdog process seems to be trying to help because its detected that the policy server has become unavailable and is restarting the policy server. (see below). I'm guessing that each time a service is called that has accounting proxy enabled it "uses up" a policy-server thread and  doesn't release it back into the pool. Eventually all the threads are used and subsequent  auth requests cannot contact the policy manager.

accounting-proxy-error.png
    If you disable the  accounting proxy feature, everything springs back into life

• 2.  RE: Issues with CPPM 6.5 and accounting proxying

Posted Mar 20, 2015 08:42 AM

Aruba TAC will be your best option .

The only question I have for you if this is a Virtual environment is if the instance was build up to spec ?

• 3.  RE: Issues with CPPM 6.5 and accounting proxying

Posted Mar 20, 2015 08:51 AM
    Yes it is a VM. No its not built up to spec. This is a dev server that only I use. At most there are 2 or 3 auth requests every 15 mins. Clients are 3 IP phones, 1 OS X machine, 1 Windows VM and 1 iphone 6plus. Only other thing thats happening is processing of DHCP requests as I'm UDP helping DHCP requests into it so I can populate the endpoints database.

There isn't a lot of traffic on the VM

Rgds
    Alex

• 4.  RE: Issues with CPPM 6.5 and accounting proxying

Posted Mar 20, 2015 08:54 AM

The thing is that 6.5 has a lot of new features that requires a lot of resources , so the first thing that TAC may ask you is to make sure that your server is up to spec .

Of course this necessarily may not be your issue but is something to keep in mind, I have seen weird stuff in my lab environment when it wasn't build up to spec.

• 5.  RE: Issues with CPPM 6.5 and accounting proxying

Posted Feb 18, 2016 11:15 AM

Had same error on 6.5 CPPM, and found that it was due to a Firewall block for an authorization source.   

Once we allowed traffic from CPPM node to authorization source (external SQL db), we were able to avoid the error.   

I've seen this anytime you enable an authorization source and the query fails.    I'd like to make some authorization sources "optional" so that I can have other logic to handle when authorization sources are unavailable.      

Guess it's time for an RFE....

• 6.  RE: Issues with CPPM 6.5 and accounting proxying

Posted Feb 19, 2016 05:21 AM

Wow! that's good to know. FWIW I'm now running full spec VMs for my CPPM 5K VMs. If I enable accounting proxying on more than 2 services and go have a cup of tea, within 30 -45 mins I'll be able to see my clearpass servers fail one by one. Policy manager drops off on each one and they start sending rejects. to get to 2 services proxying accounting I had to increase the value of

Server Configuration/Service Parameters/Policy Server/Authentication Thrtead Pool Size

from default to 50

Ah well, its also nice to know that our   checkpoint firewall crashes when send RADIUS accounting data to it if its configured to try and use the info.... at least its not just our end that fails!

A

• 7.  RE: Issues with CPPM 6.5 and accounting proxying

Posted Oct 11, 2017 08:06 AM

i have same issue but the difference is i dont have any service that use accounting proxy.

my policy service cannot run, everytime i manually run it, it always go to stop in seconds.

i am running 6.7.7.

already opened a case but TAC isnt resnponding me yet.

anyone can give me a pointer what should i check? i am trying to debug the policy service at the moment.

• 8.  RE: Issues with CPPM 6.5 and accounting proxying

Posted Oct 11, 2017 08:12 AM

There was a hiccup this morning where an automagic A/V update resulted in the Policy Server stopping. This was fixed with A/V version 1.48751

Try doing a check for updates till you get that A/Vversion and restart the policy manager

Rgds

A

• 9.  RE: Issues with CPPM 6.5 and accounting proxying

Posted Oct 11, 2017 10:37 AM

i confirm updating AV/AS to1.48.751 solves this issue.

this case causes me headache for few hours.