Security

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Need further in depth explanation of security of data whilst using tunnel forwarding mode , please

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Need further in depth explanation of security of data whilst using tunnel forwarding mode , please

Posted Apr 24, 2015 11:41 AM

We want to segregate  our  user data from a third-party's data on our WLAN. We have a shared wireless controller .  If we have a separate SSID for the third-party on the same APs as our own SSIDs, I want to find out if they would theoretically be able to view our data on the LAN, after the 802.11 frame from their clients get onto the wire from our AP  connecting to the controller. ( they can potentially secure their own data by use of client vpns on their devices )

My first question is this :

The Aruba validated reference design guide describes tunnel forwarding mode in the following paragraph:

"In the tunnel and decrypt-tunnel forwarding modes, user traffic flows transparently across the network
    in a GRE tunnel. In tunnel mode, device traffic is not converted to an Ethernet frame and placed in a
    VLAN until it reaches the mobility controller. In decrypt-tunnel mode, the traffic is decrypted but is still
    tunneled using GRE. The user VLAN does not exist at the AP that is providing access, so the VLAN
    the user is actually placed into does not need to exist there either."

What does this guide mean by "the traffic is decrypted ".  What encryption method is being "decrypted" in this explanation - seems like a contradiction if they suggest that user traffic is transparent, but traffic is "decrypted" at the controller, rather than the AP when using the tunnel forwarding mode.

scenario A :Am i correct in saying that with a captive portal ssid , with https terminating on the controller ,and the APs operating in tunnel mode that user names and passwords would be encrypted all the way to the controller but that all subsequent user data would be sent in the clear and not encrypted on our LAN between the AP and the controller, merely tunnelled using GRE.

scenario B : Am I correct in saying that if we used WPA2 - Enterprise SSID for authentication with AES encryption , that user data would only be encrypted on the "air" and that data would be sent in the clear, encapsulated in a GRE tunnel to the controller from the AP.  

My final question is - does each separate Wi-Fi client's 802.11 frame in tunnel forwarding mode have its own GRE tunnel connection to the controller ?

many thanks

Niamh

• 2.  RE: Need further in depth explanation of security of data whilst using tunnel forwarding mode , please
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2015 12:06 PM

If you use tunnel, which is default (not decrypt tunnel), the traffic will be wifi encrypted all the way back to the controller (WPA2-AES or whatever you are using).

If you use decrypt tunnel, the traffic is Wifi encrypted back to the access point, and then tunneled back to the controller decrypted but encapsulted.

The first method philosophically is more secure end to end.  With regards to captive portal, if the wifi traffic is not encrypted (non-ssl), it will be tunneled in that format back to the controller.  SSL or VPN traffic initiated by the client will be encrypted between the client and the terminating endpoint.

I hope that helps..

• 3.  RE: Need further in depth explanation of security of data whilst using tunnel forwarding mode , please

Posted Apr 24, 2015 04:10 PM

thankyou ! that helps a lot .  

• 4.  RE: Need further in depth explanation of security of data whilst using tunnel forwarding mode , please

Posted Apr 25, 2015 11:20 PM

Note that "decrypt-tunnel" APs configured as "remote" should re-encrypt via IPsec, but you lose some features (like HA) if you configure that way.  Also note the control plane security setting.  It does not apply to client traffic.

As to your third question you can view the GRE/IPSEC tunnels with "show datapath tunnel."  Looks to me like one per radio per SSID, plus some control-plane IPsec per-AP.