Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Serial number for Clearpass CP-HW-500 server from CLI?

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Serial number for Clearpass CP-HW-500 server from CLI?

Posted Jul 20, 2018 05:44 PM

I'm setting up a new Clearpass server and need the serial number to generate a license key. When I try to access Policy Manager via GUI, I get stuck at a license key entry page with no offline activation options (which differs from what the setup guide says). I never see an admin logon screen. When I try to log in via Guest or Onboard, the valid credentials that work for CLI access are rejected as invalid. 

I checked the outside of the appliance itself and the only serial number there gives me an "invalid serial number" error on the licensing page. Inside the shipping box there's no mention of the serial on any of the included paperwork, or on the invoice itself. 

I tried the usual "show" commands on the CLI but can't get it show up there either. Is there somewhere else on the CLI or otherwise I can find it? Or should I open a TAC case and go from there? 

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Serial number for Clearpass CP-HW-500 server from CLI?

Posted Jul 20, 2018 06:53 PM
    Via GUI Click on top of the OS version (Bottom right hand side)

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 3.  RE: Serial number for Clearpass CP-HW-500 server from CLI?

Posted Jul 20, 2018 06:55 PM

Hi Victor,

The problem is that I cannot access the GUI to see that. I get stuck on an "enter license key" page before I'm even presented with a logon window. Is seeing the serial simply not possible via CLI?

The two screenshots below show the only GUI pages I am presented with. There's no software version present as I am unable to log in. 

If I try to log in to Insight, Guest, or Onboard, the admin credentials that work via CLI are rejected. Quite the conundrum. 

• 4.  RE: Serial number for Clearpass CP-HW-500 server from CLI?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 30, 2018 11:56 AM

Turns out the sticker on the back of the box was right and the licensing website was wrong. Had to open a TAC case to get the license key that was never emailed to us in the first place. 

• 5.  RE: Serial number for Clearpass CP-HW-500 server from CLI?

Posted Feb 12, 2019 08:16 AM

As I just fought the battle to find out the correct serial number while having some 3 hours to site, I'd figure I'd spare someone else the hassle. We used the tip in post 2 (by Victor Fabian), but HPE wouldn't accept that serial. It turns out that if you add ARB to the serial it works!

In our case the serial was something in the lines of J3X1234 and adding ARB so it reads J3X1234ARB made a world of a difference to HPE Support. ARB presumably is an abbreviation for ARUBA in the HPE world. Why the support person couldn't figure that out is beyond me...

/Fredrik