Security

Contributor II

Unprintable characters in the password. Check the shared secret on the server and the NAS

Hi,

Access Tracker is showing this message when a device associates to Guest network

Error Code:     9001
Error Category:     RADIUS protocol
Error Message:     Wrong shared secret
 Alerts for this Request  
RADIUS     Service Categorization failed
Unprintable characters in the password. Check the shared secret on the server and the NAS.

Thanks,

AlanFord

Kind regards,
AlanFord
Highlighted
Aruba

Re: Unprintable characters in the password. Check the shared secret on the server and the NAS

Try to put in a different shared secret between the two with normal alphanumeric characters.

I find this site pretty good for random passwords https://strongpasswordgenerator.com/

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
Contributor II

Re: Unprintable characters in the password. Check the shared secret on the server and the NAS

Hi,

Shared secret does consist of upper/lower case letters and numbers only.

Thanks,

AlanFord

Kind regards,
AlanFord
MVP

Please check again (on both ClearPass and your NAD/RADIUS client) that you have not copy-pasted by accident a leading or trailing space/tab; or characters with accents as the RADIUS secret. 

If you are sure that there is no special character in there, please open a case with the Aruba TAC as this is not expected behaviour.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC.
Aruba

I have sometimes found that copying from an excel spreadsheet can introduce these whitespaces.

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
New Contributor

Solution 1 : No mistakes in password, as suggested by others.

Solution 2: In the request seen on access_tracker check input tab >> connection : src_ip_address.
Make sure while adding the NAS to device list in clearpass you have used this IP address.

Example :
You have a NAS you access with IP 10.1.1 2 , but in the incoming request you see the source IP address listed as 10.1.1.3, then you need to make sure, while creating an entry for this device in clearpass >> identity >> devices, you used the IP 10.1.1.3

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: