Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Windows 8 and 802.1x issues

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Windows 8 and 802.1x issues

Posted Jul 31, 2013 02:45 PM

We are using 802.1x in our environment and are allowing users to bring their own devices on campus.  We are not using client certs, but just PEAP mschapv2, and also using a digicert EV cert for our radius server (NPS).

We are seeing an issue where some devices mostly toshiba laptops with realtek cards are not even attempting to connect.  There is nothing showing in the radius logs, and or aruba logs.  They simply state can't connect to network.

I have tried manually creating the network, and same result.  Looking in the system log I see that EepHost service is unable to start, and is failing, obviously this is needed to connect to an 802.1x network.  

I was simply wondering if anyone else has seen this, and if this is a driver issue, a corrupt dll, or just a bad factory system image.

Thanks in advance.

-Dan

• 2.  RE: Windows 8 and 802.1x issues

Posted Jul 31, 2013 02:47 PM

Try to authenticate and then run the following command : show auth-tracebuf | include <macaddress>

Also can you please enable logging level debugging user-debug <macaddress>

And then do a show log user-debug all | include <macaddress>

That might be a driver issue with Win 8

• 3.  RE: Windows 8 and 802.1x issues

Posted Jul 31, 2013 03:49 PM
    by any chance does it work in an open SSID ?

• 4.  RE: Windows 8 and 802.1x issues

Posted Oct 25, 2013 04:18 PM

Did you ever find a resolution to your problem? We are starting to notice a lot more Windows 8 issues crop on 6.3.1.0 code. The device won't be able to connect to the 802.1x or the Open network to provision the device for the 802.1x network. Unfortunately the fix has been to power cycle the AP. I'm currently working with my SE on other issues with 6.3.1.0 and can update this thread if we find a resolution.