Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

disk increase going from CPPM 6.2 to 6.3?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  disk increase going from CPPM 6.2 to 6.3?

MVP
    Posted May 22, 2014 07:25 AM

Hi,

I'm aware that upgrading from 6.2 to 6.3 changes the scheme from 2 disks each with a single partition to 6.3 with 1 disk and 2 partitions.

What I would like to know is if I can use this upgrade to go from 2x 50GB disks (= too small) to a single 500GB disk.

Is the upgrade process smart enough to use the extended space I'm offering it with the new disk or will it simply copy over to 2x 50GB partitions and waste 400GB of space?

If the upgrade cannot be (ab)used like this. What is the recommended way to increase disk size? 

• 2.  RE: disk increase going from CPPM 6.2 to 6.3?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2014 10:44 AM

Let's consider this scenario:

You should have the following

SCSI 0:0 - NEVER REMOVE THIS!!!!!

SCSI 0:1 - Current operating volume for Clearpass

In Vshpere, add a new disk which should be added as SCSI 0:2 at 500GB if the above is in place.  You may need to reboot the VM to get Clearpass to recognize it.

Once added, when you go to install the upgrade in the UI (Administration --> Software Updates), it will prompt you stating that the upgrade will format/partition the 0:2 volume.  Essentially, Clearpass is installing two volumes there for easier upgrades/rollbacks in the future.  

• 3.  RE: disk increase going from CPPM 6.2 to 6.3?

MVP
    Posted May 22, 2014 10:51 AM

I understand the process going from 6.2 to 6.3.

My question is whether it will use the extra space on the new disk if I make it bigger then the 2 old disks combined.

My problem is not the upgrade but a 6.2 clearpass in need for an upgrade thats running out of disk space since it was provisioned on tiny disks. I was hoping to catch two birds with 1 stone her: uopgrade and soilve the space issues.

From 6.2

SCSI 0:1 - 20GB active operating volume for Clearpass

SCSI 0:2 - 20GB old operating volume for Clearpass

To 6.3

SCSI 0:2 - 500GB new operating volume for Clearpass

What is the result here? Two partitions of 20GB each or 250GB each on this new disk?

• 4.  RE: disk increase going from CPPM 6.2 to 6.3?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2014 11:04 AM

The result is two partitions of 250GB.  To VMWare, it will continue to look like one disk of 500GB

• 5.  RE: disk increase going from CPPM 6.2 to 6.3?

MVP
    Posted May 22, 2014 11:07 AM

Fantastic.. I can solve my problem just by upgrading.. got to love that :D

If only all issues where this easy to fix.

Thanks!