Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

limit the use of 1 computer certificate to 1 device

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  limit the use of 1 computer certificate to 1 device

Posted Mar 21, 2017 11:14 AM

Hi all,

Currenly I'm in the progress of setting up an environment with computer based certificates. The devices themselves are not joined to the AD domain, but are member of a specific OU group so they can be validated using Micosoft RADIUS (no ClearPass).

An important requirement is to be able to ensure a computer certificate can only be used by one device at a time.

The reason is to prevent multiple devices using the same computer certificate in case the cert is being cloned. Every device is required to have a unique certificate.

It would be even better if there is a possibility to have a device only be authenticated based on the computer certificate that has been assigned to the device itself. So that it is not being able to authenticate with a valid certificate that is assigned to another device.

• 2.  RE: limit the use of 1 computer certificate to 1 device

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2017 11:17 AM
    Mark the certificate as non-exportable in your certificate template.

• 3.  RE: limit the use of 1 computer certificate to 1 device

Posted Mar 21, 2017 03:23 PM

thanks for your quick response. I'm aware if this option when creating certificates. There is the possibility that we do not manage this setting, therefore I was wondering if we can control this from an Aruba WLAN perpective.

For guest accounts there is an option to allow 1 or multiple users/sessions to use the one guest account. I'm trying to find out if the same option is present for 802.1x computer certificates.

• 4.  RE: limit the use of 1 computer certificate to 1 device
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2017 03:36 PM
    No, there is not.