Blogs

Install an Outdoor Network- 10 minute Outdoor Network Engineer

By Chuck_Lukaszewski posted Oct 09, 2012 03:02 PM

Hi Folks,

Here are four new videos in my series “The 10 Minute Outdoor Network Engineer”.   If you’re about to install an outdoor network, you definitely want to check out these ones for best practice procedures you must know for weatherproofing and alignment.  We get a ton of questions on these two areas. The videos take you step-by-step through the process.

Video #1 shows you how to weatherproof direct-mount omni antennas including lightning arrestors.

Video #2 shows three different methods you can use to align pairs of antennas at common distances we see in campus and municipal deployments, typically under 1 kilometer

What's in the box?

The “what’s in the box” videos are aimed at installers who need to quote physical installation services for customers, and want to see exactly what they’ll be dealing with.

Video #3 is a quick tour of all the parts that come in the box with an AP-175

Video #4 is a quick tour of all the parts that come in the box with the MSR4000

We’re looking for suggestions for other videos that would be impactful for engineers who are planning or deploying outdoor Aruba networks.  Please submit your requests on this blog.  You can also email outdoorvideo@arubanetworks.com directly.

12 comments

Comments

May 10, 2022 04:42 PM

These are all dead links, so does that mean that there's an updated set of videos somewhere? Or an updated set of links if the 10-yr-old videos are still current enough?

Aug 14, 2013 08:33 PM

Thanks Chuck! Very helpful.

Devin

Aug 13, 2013 10:40 PM

Hey Devin,

Hadn't actually thought about the golf rangefinder.  

I do have a Bosch laser rangefinder for estimating pole heights but I find it's not that reliable for poles over about 10m.

As far as lateral distance between radios is concerned, I usually try to have my link budgets done before I ever get onsite for the install.  Google Earth is the best tool for that as I'm sure you know.

-cl

Aug 13, 2013 08:17 PM

Chuck,

Fantastic videos.  Thanks for sharing.  Quick question:

Do you ever use a golf range finder for short-range links for measuring distance (or doubling as the scope you mentioned)?  If so, is it useful for anything other than just distance? 

Thanks!

Devin

Feb 11, 2013 08:10 PM

The email alias has been fixed.   outdoorvideo@arubanetworks.com   is now back on line.  

Feb 08, 2013 03:18 PM

AirDiver,

Looks like there is a problem sending to that alias from non-Aruba addys.   I have a ticket at help desk open now to fix.

Meanwhile, you can send your suggestion/comment directly to me if you like.   chuck@arubanetworks.com.

Feb 08, 2013 10:06 AM

The email address in the post to send feedback to does not work. Is there someplace else I can send it to. I got a message stating I couldn't send to the address.

Oct 15, 2012 08:58 PM

Omar,

Usually we provision outdoor APs in a separate AP group from indoor APs.  This is so that you can easily modify things like EIRP, antenna  gain, ARM settings, etc.

Can you send more information about your installation - what kind of antennas?   how are you measuring signal?   and send the command output "show ap active".   Thanks.

Oct 15, 2012 07:04 AM

Hi All

I have  controller 3600  and define on this device 64(ap-93,ap-93h,ap-175 p) Access point  ,I have 61 access point Indoor and it give me  signal and internet

But I have 3 access point outdoor   not give me any signal  and   I can see it   by the controller and it took ip address  ,my question  the ap-175 need special configuration or special installation.

best regards

Oct 10, 2012 02:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback Matthew! Very much appreciate it. We'll share this with the team.

Kind Regards,

Jeanie

Comunity Manager

Oct 09, 2012 11:10 PM

just completed watching videos 1 through 2 and must say that you guys are top notch with regards to hands on demonstrations. i remember visiting Airheads in Maryland about 2+ years ago and was truly impressed by the Antenna and outdoor wing of Aruba. Keep up the videos and VRDs as they make a huge difference in product descriptions and config guide line documentations.

Oct 09, 2012 06:56 PM

If you are having difficulty watching the video, please hang on tight... the problem is being looked into.

Kind Regards,

Jeanie