Training, Certification & Career

Occasional Contributor I

User VLAN IP size ? what is the largest recommended VLAN size for a Wireless user VLAN?

I just have a question about broadcast domain sizing for the user VLANs. Currenlty we are using class C's for the User VLANs with pooling, which works fairly well. But, what is the largest recommended user network   /23, /22 or /21?

Thanks.

Hope in the correct location.

Dan

Guru Elite

Re: User VLAN IP size ? what is the largest recommended VLAN size for a Wireless user VLAN?

You can make it as large as you want, as long as you enable "drop broadcast and multicast" on your Virtual AP.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Re: User VLAN IP size ? what is the largest recommended VLAN size for a Wireless user VLAN?

I have been reading in the forums, checking that box will deny printing.

Also, wont it prevent clients from getting DHCP?

Guru Elite

What kind of printing?  If you use ip printing, you should not have a problem.  If you use Airprint, you would only need to have airgroup on to discover printers.  It will not prevent clients from getting DHCP, no.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

We are moving from IP printing to named printing soon.

That is good to know about the DHCP.

Is it best practice then to Deny Broadcast and Multicast on all VAPs?

Currently we do not allow printing from certain SSIDs.

Guru Elite

What is named printing and what protocols does it use? Drop broadcast and multicast is a standard way to improve performance.

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

Printing over DNS.

Contributor II

Is there a particular VLAN size/connected device number that you recommend enabling drop multicast/broadcast on?
Guru Elite

frandydan@fhda.edu wrote:

Printing over DNS.

Printing over DNS is normally unicast, so you should be fine.

Colin Joseph

Guru Elite

hipzilla wrote:
Is there a particular VLAN size/connected device number that you recommend enabling drop multicast/broadcast on?

All of them, unless you are running an application that relies on broadcasts. Dhcp and ARP are always passed through...

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: