Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 10G SFP+ LC LRM J9152D Lack of support on mainstream switches

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Aruba 10G SFP+ LC LRM J9152D Lack of support on mainstream switches

Posted Feb 17, 2018 01:16 PM

I am curious why the Aruba 10G SFP+ LC LRM J9152D optic does not seem to be supported on many of the current mainstream switches.

Currently models that lack this support both in Iris and in the Data Sheets:

8320 Series

2930F Series

2540 Series

Older or lower-end switches that do include support for 10 Gigabit LRM through the J9152A optic

2530 Series

2920 Series

1850 Series

10-Gigabit LRM really is a game changer for many places which still have older OM1 or Single Mode to data closets since it is the only optic which can use both Mulitimode OM1 with 10 Gigabit to 200m and Single Mode to 300m yet it is still priced at the same price point as 10G SR.  Can anyone explain why the support for LRM is not in new switches yet it is in older models?  Is this support ever going to be added?

Thanks,

Kelly

• 2.  RE: Aruba 10G SFP+ LC LRM J9152D Lack of support on mainstream switches

Posted Mar 05, 2018 11:45 AM

I'm wondering exactly the same thing! 10G LRM modules would be perfect to support 10G speeds on older cabling. Now, I am forced to upgrade and replace all my fiber cabling throughout my building.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 10G SFP+ LC LRM J9152D Lack of support on mainstream switches

Posted Mar 13, 2018 03:57 PM
    LRM needs to be supported in the hardware. Not each switch had support for LRM because of the error correction that needs to be done. The Aruba switches that supports LRM needs a additional SFP+ module. This module has support for LRM. So the builtin interface doesn’t support lrm.

• 4.  RE: Aruba 10G SFP+ LC LRM J9152D Lack of support on mainstream switches

Posted Mar 15, 2018 02:24 PM

Willem thanks for your response.

I suppose this is more of a question for the people who designed the brand new switches such as the top of the line 8320 core switch along with the other models mentioned and left out the hardware support for LRM.  Why skimp on the hardware support of such a valuable technology?  So there is no way to add the support for LRM in the future via a programmable ASIC or run the error correction in software?

• 5.  RE: Aruba 10G SFP+ LC LRM J9152D Lack of support on mainstream switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2018 04:49 PM

This is supported in most of switches. Please see the, 

ArubaOS-Switch and ArubaOS-CX Transceiver Guide : https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5180190&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00028947en_us

• 6.  RE: Aruba 10G SFP+ LC LRM J9152D Lack of support on mainstream switches

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 09, 2018 06:19 PM

I spend a lot of time in LRM modules. When we go indepth there is a good reason why LRM is not support in modern chips.

see https://bm-switch.com/index.php/blog/edc-phy-and-phyless-switch-design-difference/

Pros:

1. 61W reduction in power consumption (240W->179W).

2. Lower Latency (50~70ns less).

3. Increased MTBF and reduced MTTR.

4. Significant cost reduction.

Cons:

1. SFP-10G-LRM (Long Reach Multi-mode) transceivers are not supported, use SFP-10G-LR instead.