Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Master-local adoption problem

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Master-local adoption problem

Posted Sep 20, 2016 11:31 PM

Hi, i have a customer with deployment around 200++ AP, layer 3 multiple area with local controller per area.

at first connect out of the box, AP will discover via DHCP option to master controller then via AP provisioning, redirects it to the designated local controller.

i have a case where some APs (not just one but not all) after power cycle, won't keep its adoption to the local controller but instead gets adopted back to the master controller.

CMIIW, it seems like the AP won't keep the configuration stick after reboot or the AP prefer the controller ip in the DHCP option instead the one it got the previous adoption.

any idea why it happens?

• 2.  RE: Master-local adoption problem

Posted Sep 21, 2016 12:07 AM

a bit additional info.

the ap group stays the same after reboot.

master ip for the AP is local controller IP but somehow the AP still get adopted by the master controller.

• 3.  RE: Master-local adoption problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2016 06:02 AM

1.  Do not put a master-ip when provisioning that AP:  Your master discovery box on the AP Installation page should look like below:

Screenshot 2016-09-21 at 04.59.08.png

2.  In the AP group, there is an AP System Profile:  In the AP System Profile, put the LMS-IP of the controller you want the APs in that AP-Group to be on.  In the case below, it is 192.168.1.200:

Screenshot 2016-09-21 at 05.00.54.png

When the AP boots up, it will find the first controller using DHCP options.  When it tells the controller what AP group it is in, the controller will look up the LMS-ip in the AP system profile and send it to the controller at 192.168.1.200 (or whatever is the ip address you want it on).

• 4.  RE: Master-local adoption problem

Posted Sep 21, 2016 11:22 PM

Hi Colin, i did different way to configure master-local adoption and please give me input what is the difference between them.

my AP when first boot up discover the master controller via aruba-master. master controller adopts the AP with default ap-group.

network admin then provision the AP to a profile depends on the localtion. in this ap-group i put the address of the local controller to switch the ap adoption destination. BUT i didnt put the local controller IP in LMS IP but in the masterstr in provisioning profile instead.
    1.JPG

by doing this, the master ip in AP provision page, changed from controller name aruba-master to controller IP to the local controller IP.

2.JPG

192.168.3.5 is one of my local controller IP. but even it shows 192.168.3.5, the AP sometime after power cycle gets adopted back to master while the "show ap details .." still says the AP controller IP is my local controller IP.

what is the difference if i put local controller IP in LMS IP and in master ip in provisioning profile?

• 5.  RE: Master-local adoption problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2016 05:08 AM

Why are you using a provisioning profile?

Screenshot 2016-09-22 at 04.05.46.png

It is rarely used and is not needed, but can cause problems based on what you are trying to do.  Please remove it from the ap-group (change it to N/A).

• 6.  RE: Master-local adoption problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2016 05:15 AM

You should not change anything when you are provisioning the AP, except the name and the ap-group.  It should look like this:

Screenshot 2016-09-21 at 04.59.08.png

When the AP connects to the first available controller, the LMS-IP, in the AP System Profile in the AP-Group will tell it what controller to go to.  In the screenshot below it is the 192.168.1.200 and the ap-group is default, but instead modify the new ap-group of your AP and change the LMS-IP to the ip address of the controller you want all APs in that group to go to:

Screenshot 2016-09-21 at 05.00.54.png

• 7.  RE: Master-local adoption problem

Posted Sep 22, 2016 06:48 AM

i will try that config. thanks for the input.