Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Multicast to another VLAN

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Multicast to another VLAN

Posted May 08, 2017 10:52 PM

Hi there,

I just implemented a multicast server on my lab, here's the simple topology:

Multicast Server (VLAN 1) - Aruba 2930F (VLAN 1) - Sophos Firewall (VLAN 1) - Aruba 2930F (VLAN 1, VLAN 2) - Client (VLAN 2)

My problem is when i use VLAN 2 on client and stream multicast from the server, the client can't stream the video, but if i switch to vlan 1 the client can receive the video.

On each vlan i used igmp version 3.

When i check the igmp, vlan 2 already joined the multicast group but cant stream the video.

VLAN ID : 2
      VLAN Name : LAN AREA
      IGMP version : 3
      Querier Address [this switch] : 10.10.22.1
      Querier Port :
      Querier UpTime : 20h 15m 54s
      Querier Expiration Time : 0h 1m 5s

Active Group Addresses Tracking Vers Mode Uptime   Expires
      ---------------------- -------- ---- ---- -------- --------
      239.1.22.2             Filter   3    EXC  0m 21s   4m 0s
      239.255.255.250        Filter   3    EXC  1h 1m    3m 21s

The reference i read, to forward multicast packet to another vlan theres must be a router with a multicast route, can the 2930F do that? as i know the 2930F is a L3 switch.

BR,

Prasetyadhi R.

• 2.  RE: Multicast to another VLAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2017 12:11 PM

The 2930F is a L3 switch which also support multicast-routing using PIM-SM or PIM-DM on 16 x L3 VLAN interfaces with 200 routes . Unfortunatly the manuals are missing this piece which is currently beeing looked after. Meanwhile take the 3810 "Multicast and Routing Guide".