Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Office Connect 1950, DAC and MSA 2050 Storage

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Office Connect 1950, DAC and MSA 2050 Storage

Posted May 10, 2018 06:56 PM

Here in Aus we have a huge number of environments where 2 servers and a single SAN are all that is needed to provide the compute and storage for a company. In the past (and still do) I have specified Office Connect 1950 with 12 x 10GbaseT and 4 x 10GbaseSFP+ with the MSA for those organsiations that prefer iSCSI. The connection between server and switch would be UTP 10G and between the switch and MSA I would DAC cables. 

Previous versions of quickspecs would show that the MSA was compatible with the X240 DACs JD096C (for instance) and the OfficeConnect 1950 would show the same cable as being compatible. All good.

BUT NOW revisions of the quickspecs do not show the X240 JD096C as being ok with the OfficeConnect switches but rather the HPE X240 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 3m Direct Attach Copper Campus-Cable JH695A.

This appears to be a comware DAC and is not listed as being compatible with the MSA.

This leaves me with specifying expensive optical transceivers rather than cheap copper.

I regard myself as a server/storage guy, not a network tech, so to me a DAC is copper wire and some fancy electrics. So I can't work out why the X240 DACs have been changed to compus-cables.

I work for a distie so while I specify the solution I don't actually implement it, so I am looking for help.

So does anyone have any idea of why the DAC cable specifications would have changed? And can I keep using the JD096C's?

If anyone has use the Campous-cable version of the X240 on MSA's that would help too.

Thx

• 2.  RE: Office Connect 1950, DAC and MSA 2050 Storage
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2018 04:24 PM

Hello,

After consulting with our experts, the following table compares the descriptions, noting the addition of the "Campus" part to the descriptions.

JD095C

HPE X240 10G SFP+ SFP+ 0.65m Direct Attach Copper Cable

JH693A

HPE X240 10G SFP+ SFP+ 0.65m Direct Attach Copper Campus-Cable

JD096C

HPE X240 10G SFP+ SFP+ 1.2m Direct Attach Copper Cable

JH694A

HPE X240 10G SFP+ SFP+ 1.2m Direct Attach Copper Campus-Cable

JD097C

HPE X240 10G SFP+ SFP+ 3m Direct Attach Copper Cable

JH695A

HPE X240 10G SFP+ SFP+ 3m Direct Attach Copper Campus-Cable

The change was simply an Oerdering SKU # change.  The parts are in fact interchangeable and cane be migrated between supported switches.  The addition of the "Campus" versions was to aid in our sales organizations to specify and track which SKU they sold.

Hope this helps.

Thank You,