Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

S1500-12P power consumption?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  S1500-12P power consumption?

Posted Jan 07, 2016 05:53 PM

I'm considering picking up an S1500-12P for evaluation. Unfortunately, neither the datasheet nor the manual say anything about power consumption. I'm a sucker for efficiency, so I just must know before buying. :)

Can anybody share what power consumption is like for the S1500-12P? I'm most interested in the idle figure, i.e. with no ports active.

Many thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: S1500-12P power consumption?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 10, 2016 02:27 PM

Can´t give you the value for no connected ports; but I measure around 40W (on 220V/50Hz power) with 5 ports and 18W PoE draw:

(ArubaS1500-12P) #show poe controller   

Linecard  Power Budget(W)  Power Consumption(W)  GuardBand(mW)  PoE Management  Cisco Compatibility  Config Delay(ms)
    --------  ---------------  --------------------  -------------  --------------  -------------------  ----------------
    0         120              18                    11000          Dynamic         Disabled             2000

Earlier, I had three more PoE devices connected total 45W; then the device draw 72W:

Linecard  Power Budget(W)  Power Consumption(W)  GuardBand(mW)  PoE Management  Cisco Compatibility  Config Delay(ms)
    --------  ---------------  --------------------  -------------  --------------  -------------------  ----------------
    0         120              45                    11000          Dynamic         Disabled             2000

See the graph below, the blue line shows the power consumption in Watts, and drops from 72W to 42W after I pulled 27W of PoE devices in the right of the graph (just before 8PM):

Unfortunately, I can´t pull the last device as that is a 7005 controller running my network. I would at least expect another 18W drop if you take off the last 18W of PoE powered devices.

The device measuring the power is a Plugwise power plug with just the cable to the switch direct connected in it.

• 3.  RE: S1500-12P power consumption?

Posted Jan 10, 2016 08:25 PM

Thank you so much for the detailed reply!

Even after subtracting 18 W for the one PoE device, 20+ watts seems like a lot for a fanless switch that's close to idle. Could there have been significant traffic on the other four ports?

The Brocade ICX 6430-C12, for example, idles at only 10 watts. The datasheet also states the typical power consumption for 5% and 95% throughput scenarios, which is nice. The HP 2530-8G-PoE+ idles a little higher at 13.4 watts, but that's still very reasonable. I'm waiting to hear back from Juniper about the EX2200-C-12P-2G.

I also have a couple of smart/semi-managed PoE+ switches lying around, a D-Link DGS-1210-10P and a TRENDnet TPE-1020WS, both of which idle at ~10 watts.

• 4.  RE: S1500-12P power consumption?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2016 04:00 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have an idle S1500-12P as my network runs production on that switch. So the 5 active ports are also quite busy... not in idle mode.