Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

VSF in chain mode

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  VSF in chain mode

Posted Jan 25, 2018 12:24 PM

Hi experts,

I am very new with Aruba switches and stacking and VSF in general. I have created my first VSF following the following procedure:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Campus-Switching-and-Routing/Configure-Virtual-Switching-Framework-VSF-in-2-steps/td-p/266765

The only change is that my switches use port 25 and port 26 for the VSF link.

After connecting both port 25 and 26 to the second switch, it has rebooted and the VSF has formed:

Aruba-VSF-2930F# show vsf link detail

VSF Member: 1 Link: 1

Port State
    -------- ------------
    1/25 Up: Connected to port 2/25
    1/26 Up: Connected to port 2/26

VSF Member: 2 Link: 1

Port State
    -------- ------------
    2/25 Up: Connected to port 1/25
    2/26 Up: Connected to port 1/26

However, the VSF topology is chain:

Aruba-VSF-2930F# show vsf

VSF Domain ID : 1
    MAC Address : f40343-0f7383
    VSF Topology : Chain
    VSF Status : Active
    Uptime : 0d 0h 6m
    VSF MAD : None
    VSF Port Speed : 10G
    Software Version : WC.16.03.0007

Mbr
    ID MAC Address Model Pri Status
    --- ------------- -------------------------------------- --- ---------------
    1 f40343-0f7380 Aruba JL253A 2930F-24G-4SFP+ Switch 128 Commander
    2 98f2b3-b82240 Aruba JL253A 2930F-24G-4SFP+ Switch 128 Standby

According to the switch guide, a ring topology is recommended. But this guide also says ring topologies supported are those of 3 and 4 members.

It seems a topology with 2 members is not supported, it also doesn't make sense to me to have a ring topology with only 2 members.

Is OK this VSF? Is there any way to have a VSF ring topology with 2 members? If so, how?

Many thanks in advance,

Julián

• 2.  RE: VSF in chain mode
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 25, 2018 04:25 PM

Greetings!

If your VSF fabric only has two members, then (as expected) a chain is the only possible topology. This is not an issue as, in this setup, all members are (by default) connected to each other.

The recommendation to use a ring topology is, as you noted, only applicable to topologies consisting of more than two switches.  I will put in a word with the documentation team to make that clearer.

• 3.  RE: VSF in chain mode

Posted Jan 25, 2018 06:28 PM

Hi Matthew,

Then as I expected the only possibility with two members is the chain topology, but because I am begginer with stacking I wanted to confirm. Thanks for clarifying.

By the way, as you said: The recommendation to use a ring topology is, as you noted, only applicable to topologies consisting of more than two switches.  I will put in a word with the documentation team to make that clearer.

I guess this is true for VSF and also for backplane stacking, for example switch 3810M. However, the guide Aruba 3810M Switches Installation and Getting Started Guide explicitly shows a ring topology with only 2 switches, page 51:

backplanestacking.JPG

I you are going to talk with the documentation team maybe is a good idea they also modify this guide.

Regards,

Julián