Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Virtual Stacking on 2530 Does Nothing

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Virtual Stacking on 2530 Does Nothing

Posted Jul 27, 2018 01:15 PM

I just got a pair of 2530 switches and started playing around with stacking them. One is an 8 port and the other is 24. I create a new vlan, assign it an IP, make it the management vlan, tag the trunk port then enable stacking with auto-add. I plug in the second switch and it gets added to the stack, but the only thing that changes is the hostname. It doesn't grab a config, and I am not able to manage it from the master at all. The only option in the GUI for stacking is in the "Traditional GUI" it has IP Stacking under System. That just lets me add and remove members though. 

Am I doing something wrong here? 

• 2.  RE: Virtual Stacking on 2530 Does Nothing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2018 01:46 PM

Greetings!

One thing to keep in mind is that the 'virtual' stacking feature on the 2530 series is not the same as backplane stacking (BPS) on 2930M and 3810, or Virtual Switching Framework (VSF) on the 2930F and 5400R. 

On the 2530, virtual stacking allows an administrator to manage a virtual stack using the commander's IP address as an entry point for configuring individual stack members via the CLI or menu interface; it does not synchronize configurations between members as BPS or VSF do (only the commander's manager and operator credentials are applied to members that join the stack), nor does it permit management of the stack as a single entity in a network management platform such as AirWave or IMC.

• 3.  RE: Virtual Stacking on 2530 Does Nothing

Posted Jul 27, 2018 02:26 PM

Thank you for the reply! I mainly wanted to use it for management purposes so I can log into one ip and manage all the switches at that location. 

So how do you access the management page, or CLI of stack members? I do not see any reference to stacking or the stack members other than the "IP Stacking" section of the Traditional GUI which only lets me add and remove members. 

• 4.  RE: Virtual Stacking on 2530 Does Nothing
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2018 02:34 PM

From the commander's CLI, you can Telnet directly into any stack member using the member's ID (e.g., 'telnet 1').  You can also use the text-mode menu interface to access an individual member (9. Stacking —> 5. Stack Access).

For more info, refer to 'Stack Management' (Chapter 10) in the 2530 Advanced Traffic Management Guide (the info provided in this post is on page 262-263).

• 5.  RE: Virtual Stacking on 2530 Does Nothing

Posted Jul 27, 2018 02:44 PM

Thanks for the info. 9. Stacking ----> 5. Stack Access did not work as my Stacking menu only had 3 options and none of them were Stacking Access. I was able to Telnet though, and I did get prompted when logging into the switch to type which stack member I wanted to connect to.