Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

225 utilizing second port

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  225 utilizing second port

Posted May 06, 2014 08:51 AM

I am trying to find documentation for setup/use of the second port on a 225.  I know that it will require a LACP trunk on the switch side, but what do I need, if anything on the controller?

I read something about the GRE Stripping setting under AP System.  However you can only set this setting if you have a value in the LMS setting and I do not.  

We are running a Master/Master setup with a VRRP address.

Ideas?

#AP225

• 2.  RE: 225 utilizing second port

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2014 09:00 AM
    Enter your VRRP address in the LMS IP field and then increment that address
    by one and put it in the gre striping address field.

There is a section on LACP in the 6.3 and 6.4 user guides.

• 3.  RE: 225 utilizing second port

Posted May 06, 2014 09:01 AM

My vrrp is is 10.1.0.60 and my controllers are 61 and 62 can i make the GRE 63?

Will changing these settings cause a boot strap or anything?

• 4.  RE: 225 utilizing second port
    Best Answer

Posted May 06, 2014 09:03 AM
    On the controller you will need to set the LMS IP as well as the GRE Striping IP. You'll want to set the VRRP address as the LMS IP and for the GRE Striping IP you'll typically set that as the VRRP address+1. If that's not available then I've been told it simply needs to be opposite of the LMS as far as even odd goes. IE if your LMS was 10.6.2.1 then GRE should be 10.6.2.2 or if that wasn't available then jump to 10.6.2.4. The GRE Striping IP doesn't actually belong to the controller and isn't assigned to any interface it simply needs to be an address that the controller is capable of communicating on.

• 5.  RE: 225 utilizing second port

Posted May 06, 2014 09:10 AM
    GRE as 63 should work properly. If your APs aren't currently pointing at the VRRP address I believe that'll cause a reboot as the APs will think they have a new master (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

• 6.  RE: 225 utilizing second port

Posted May 06, 2014 09:11 AM

our ap's are pointing to the VRRP address now.

• 7.  RE: 225 utilizing second port

Posted May 07, 2014 01:08 PM

I have been playing with this setup. However I seem to be having some issues.  I have set the LMS ip to our VRRP address, and set the GRE address to .63

I have a HP Procurve 5406 that I am trying to connect the 225 to.  I have created LACP trunk for the two connections however when the ap finishes the boot process in the switch it shows that the LACP trunk is not partnered.

Also when i try to do the show ap debug lacp ap-name doniussportssouth the controller replies with "LACP not configured.

Ideas?

• 8.  RE: 225 utilizing second port

Posted May 07, 2014 04:15 PM

what was the config on the procurve side?

• 9.  RE: 225 utilizing second port

Posted May 08, 2014 08:17 AM
    trunk A1-A2 Trk10 LACP

Respectfully,
    Josh Bauman
    Network Infrastructure and Security Administrator
    Maryville University St Louis
    314-529-9512
    [jbqrcode]

• 10.  RE: 225 utilizing second port

Posted May 08, 2014 12:15 PM

Strange. From what I understand that's exactly how it should be done. I'm going to have to defer to someone else who may know more at this point.