Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

8.x Controllers reaching out to Google DNS

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  8.x Controllers reaching out to Google DNS

Posted Sep 18, 2018 11:20 AM

We have all of mds pointing to the internal DNS servers but are seeing firewall hits out to Google DNS servers.  We are running AOS 8.3.0.1 on 7240XM controllers.  Would there be any reason that the controllers need to reachout to the Google DNS servers?  There's nothing that I can find in the config for Google DNS servers.

• 2.  RE: 8.x Controllers reaching out to Google DNS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 11:24 AM

Are you natting any client traffic like guest traffic out of your controllers (ip nat inside on any VLAN)?  If so, that might be your client traffic.

• 3.  RE: 8.x Controllers reaching out to Google DNS

Posted Sep 18, 2018 11:41 AM

Colin, we are not natting any client traffic on the controllers.

• 4.  RE: 8.x Controllers reaching out to Google DNS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 11:53 AM

Is there any way to see how often it occurs and what they are trying to resolve?

• 5.  RE: 8.x Controllers reaching out to Google DNS

Posted Sep 19, 2018 03:36 PM

It happening 10-12 times an hour per controller.  From the Splunk logs I can only see port 53 out to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 is being blocked.  It's not so much an issue I don't think but out S&C group saw it the Splunk logs and wanted it looked at.

• 6.  RE: 8.x Controllers reaching out to Google DNS
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 19, 2018 04:04 PM

Hmm..  If you don't have any  Google Servers configured on the controller, we would have to go through your config and tech support to understand what could be happening, intended or bug.  Please open a TAC case.