Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 minutes ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  AAC question

Posted Aug 13, 2018 07:20 AM

Hi, Little question, Is it possible to map specific ap's to a controller in a cluster configuration? So i know for sure that traffic from a specific AP /AP group flows to a dedicated controller, but still have the reduncancy in the cluster?

• 2.  RE: AAC question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 07:39 AM

Before I answer, what would be your objective?

• 3.  RE: AAC question

Posted Aug 13, 2018 08:33 AM

Hi,

At a customer site they have 2 buildings. In each building there is a single controller. There is a connection between the 2 buildings but we dont want data from builingA go over the line to buildingB. But we like still have the redundancy for a cluster. Ideal, we need 2 controllers on each location. But thats not an option at the moment. So i was wondering is that is possible in a cluster or else we have to go back to LMS again. 

• 4.  RE: AAC question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 08:37 AM

Are you able to layer 2 connect all of the user VLANs between the controllers of two builings?  If not, you cannot form a layer 2 cluster and you should just use LMS-IP.

• 5.  RE: AAC question

Posted Aug 13, 2018 09:40 AM

Yes, im able to stretch a layer 2 VLAN. 

• 6.  RE: AAC question
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 10:03 AM

It should be a layer 2 VLAN between the management ip address of the controllers and all of the user VLANs.  If there is a chance that both controllers networks would be separated, just use lms-ip.  Clustering is based on the understanding that controllers would be logically if not physically in the same location.

• 7.  RE: AAC question

Posted Aug 13, 2018 10:10 AM

Yes i understand, so the awnser on my first question its not possible?

• 8.  RE: AAC question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 10:27 AM

You can in very limited circumstances:  If you only have two controllers and you create two cluster groups, assign the first controller to one cluster group and the second controller to another, this is possible, but only with two controllers.  It however does not enjoy the advantages of clustering like ap load balancing and user load balancing.  If you configure it that way it essentially reduces you to the functionality of lms-ip.

• 9.  RE: AAC question

Posted Aug 13, 2018 11:06 AM

Thats was the info i was looking for. Thanks.