Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-105 with ID flag

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  AP-105 with ID flag

Posted Jul 03, 2012 07:58 AM

Hi,

We are deploying a wireless solution with 500+ ap-105. All the access points can find the controller (via DNS) and appear in the ap-configuration section. The problem is that some of them appear directly with ID flag (inactive and dirty/no config). I've tried to provision and assign them to their ap-group (via WEBui) but the provision fails. The access points seems to be not aware of this provision and do not reload to change their config.

The controller is a 6000 with M3. The access points are configured as remote ap.

The question is, could we recover those access points without going to the remote site and do a purgeenv locally?

Thanks

Jose

• 2.  RE: AP-105 with ID flag

Posted Jul 03, 2012 08:20 AM

Likely you can recover them... first step is that I would do an audit on the AP-GROUP that the APs are coming up into.

First question:  Is this problem affecting only a single AP-GROUP?   multiple AP-GROUPs? or ?

• 3.  RE: AP-105 with ID flag

Posted Jul 03, 2012 08:38 AM

Hi Jfernyc,

There are affected multiple ap-groups. Each branch office has an assigned ap-group and the access points with ID flag belong to different ap-groups. And in those ap-groups other access points have been provisioned without problem.

I am wondering why some access points could register themselves in the default ap-group with the I flag (and well-provisioned later) and others appear with the ID flag.

All the access points are new from factory. Could will it be due to the factory firmware release?

Regards,

• 4.  RE: AP-105 with ID flag

Posted Jul 03, 2012 08:47 AM

Tks.

Ok, they are in the "I" state when in the default group, and then when you reprovision over to the 'final' AP-groups then they return in the "ID" state ?

• 5.  RE: AP-105 with ID flag

Posted Jul 03, 2012 08:55 AM

No, they directly go to ID state, without reprovision.

Jose

• 6.  RE: AP-105 with ID flag

Posted Jul 03, 2012 09:04 AM

Tks.

Ok, understood.

Is there surplus addressing.. in the VPN address pool.   Worth checking how the addressing is doing in there (lots, close to capacity etc).

Are there log messages in 'show log all 50'

• 7.  RE: AP-105 with ID flag

Posted Jul 04, 2012 11:43 AM

Hi,

I don't think that the problem could be related to pool or addressing issues. We have opened a case to solve the problem.

Thanks

Jose

• 8.  RE: AP-105 with ID flag

Posted Jul 04, 2012 02:31 PM

Thanks Jose.

How did you make out on your case?

• 9.  RE: AP-105 with ID flag

Posted Sep 10, 2012 12:30 AM

I don't mean to bring up old/dead threads, but I'm curious as to what fixed this.  I have 2 ap's doing this now after a recent power outage and I'm in need of assistance.  Addressing is not the issue and I only have one ap group since our current deployment is <30 ap's.

Thanks.

• 10.  RE: AP-105 with ID flag
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 10, 2012 03:40 AM

Hi Rusteh,

Finally we closed the case because just rebooting the controller the ID flags disappeared.

Jose

• 11.  RE: AP-105 with ID flag

Posted Sep 17, 2012 01:11 PM

Unforunately mine wasn't that simple.  We apparently had some address conflicts that we were unaware of.  Even though those addresses weren't techincally in use or being broadcasted, I had two cisco switches associated to 9 addresses in my DHCP pool that we didn't discover until we did an ARP lookup on the controllers.  After removing those addresses from the DHCP pool my AP's started functioning again.

So now I need to figure out how even though my swtiches aren't configured to use those addresses, how did 2 Cisco  MAC addresses get associated on the controllers for 9 different addresses.  So weird...

• 12.  RE: AP-105 with ID flag

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 10, 2012 06:23 AM

@Rusteh wrote:

I don't mean to bring up old/dead threads, but I'm curious as to what fixed this.  I have 2 ap's doing this now after a recent power outage and I'm in need of assistance.  Addressing is not the issue and I only have one ap group since our current deployment is <30 ap's.

Thanks.

Rusteh,

Make sure that those APs do not have duplicate ip addresses on your network....  Just one more thing to look at...