Wireless Access

wai
New Contributor

AP 135 - 2 Ethernet Ports (Use 2nd port to create redundancy)

[ Edited ]

Just to check if anyone has tried to connect 2 Ethernet Port (Eth 0 and 1) of AP 135 to 2 different POE switch?

Can I use the above method to provide sort of redundancy link? Will the above links will be in active/active or active/standby? Is this a typical setup in campus environment?

Seems like everyone just using 1 port instead of 2 when connecting to PoE switch.\

Appreciate your advice.

Many thanks.

Guru Elite

Re: AP 135 - 2 Ethernet Ports (Use 2nd port to create redundancy)

wai wrote:

Just to check if anyone has tried to connect 2 Ethernet Port (Eth 0 and 1) of AP 135 to 2 different POE switch?  [Not many people deploy like this]

Can I use the above method to provide sort of redundancy link? Will the above links will be in active/active or active/standby? Is this a typical setup in campus environment?  [Active/Standby]

Seems like everyone just using 1 port instead of 2 when connecting to PoE switch.\ [That is because if power is lost on the first port, the whole AP has to reboot---It is not active/active]

Appreciate your advice.

Many thanks.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

wai
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

So in normal, will both ports be supplying power to the ap?

If it's not, then in the event the active port is down, will the 2nd Ethernet port come up automatically?

Thanks.
Guru Elite

Both ports cannot supply poe to the AP at the same time.

When one port stops supplying POE, the AP has to reboot and will then come up with the second port.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

wai
New Contributor

Can I say that, On the physical view, we will only see 1 Ethernet port with its led blinking where as the 2nd Ethernet port is off even though we have enabled it.
Guru Elite

Re: Use 2nd ethernet port on AP 135 as redundant port

Correct. The AP-225 is currently the only AP that supports both ports simultaneously via LACP. (but power is still drawn from one port)

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Frequent Contributor I

Will the below be possible in the future:

1. AP draws power from 2 ports and maintains Up status even if one port or POE from one port is down? ____

2. Can the AP have a built-in capacitor or battery, to maintain 30 sec power, when one port or POE from one port is down? ____

"If there's a will, there's a way."
Guru Elite

Future APs will *likely* have two PD circuits and load share across both links.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: