Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

AP 204 Alternatives for VHD with ant-2x2-5314

Hi all,

I am looking to do some testing for a VHD scenario and am looking to use antenna with a 30 degree beamwidth (ANT-2x2-5314), however Ideally I'd like to deploy them with AP-224's to ensure they can handle large numbers of clients. So, my question is - can you do this? What happens with the connection to the 3rd radio chain on the AP? (I'm thinking this would likely be bad.)

Thanks in advance,

Jon.

Guru Elite

Re: AP 204 Alternatives for VHD with ant-2x2-5314

We need more information to determine if that is worthwhile or not.

Is this indoors our outdoors?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks for the swift response, 

I am looking to deploy one AP on each 5 GHz channel within a vaguely circular internal space. I'm not yet convinced that I need ot use such narrow beams, but I'd like to know if I have that option.

So, really I just need to know if this is crazy, or sensible... and if crazy, what the next best thing would be?  

Thanks,

Guru Elite

What is the square footage of the space and how many users are you trying to support?  a Directional antenna does not help or work in an inside space.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks for the input Colin but, could you answer the question please - if you know the answer off-the-top-of-your-head. I'm not looking for advice about the 'bigger picture' or design principles at this time.

My guess is - You can't just leave one of the radios of a 2x4 AP unconnected to an antenna as it is still a receiver itself and you can't disable the single radio.... therefore you should consider using an alternative antenna?

Thanks, 

Jon.

Best practice is to use ANT0 and ANT1, and put a 50ohm RPSMA terminator on ANT2. Then you need to disable the 2.4GHZ radio. You will only get 2stream MCS rates.
Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer

To answer the more broad question, the use case for such a narrow antenna indoors is only for HD LPV where you need small cell coverage from the ceiling to the floor, otherwise it's not a good solution. You can use a 2x2 AP on a 3x3 or 4x4 AP so long as you terminate unused AP connectors.

Also of interest is we will be releasing a 30deg outdoor 4x4 30deg 5Ghz antenna. When that released you can use that antenna with a 224 or 3x4 AP and use all chains. I think release for antenna is July.
Jerrod Howard
Occasional Contributor I

Ah, Perfect - thanks!

Looking forward to that 4x4 antenna - that's probably what i'll end up installing if the project gains traction (and the design works!)

Part number will be ANT-4x4-5314. July or Aug price list I believe. Alot of it depends on how long it takes to certify against our APs. 

Jerrod Howard
Occasional Contributor I

One more thought occurs - Do you know if i need a male or female RPSMA Terminators?

Thanks

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: