Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-224 external antenna options?

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  AP-224 external antenna options?

Posted Jun 16, 2015 03:08 PM

Hi Forum,

I have a multi-floor building with requirement to install ap-224 with external antennas. I was looking at the antenna matrix and I see many options for indoor antenna and I'm not sure which one should I go with.

Should I design just like I designed for ap-225 placement? I usually use visualRF with 40-50 feet spacing between ap-225 but this time I'm not sure if I should follow the same logic since I'm still designing for 11ac except with ap-224.

If you guys can give me any advice from your experience I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

#AP225

• 2.  RE: AP-224 external antenna options?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 16, 2015 03:10 PM

Is there a specific reason why you would be using external antennas indoors?  There are reasons, but that would direct our recommendation.

• 3.  RE: AP-224 external antenna options?

Posted Jun 16, 2015 03:22 PM

Actually nothing more than that the antenna would look better with the way that the celling is designed. the celling is made of a fiber glass material and laid out in a very "artistic" fashion. So I think they want the antenna that might look better with the celling.

• 4.  RE: AP-224 external antenna options?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 16, 2015 03:25 PM

If you are doing it for cosmetic reasons, the AP225 has no antenna.  Do you want the AP above the ceiling and the antenna under the ceiling?  Is that what you had in mind?

• 5.  RE: AP-224 external antenna options?

Posted Jun 16, 2015 05:18 PM

This is exactly the reason.

• 6.  RE: AP-224 external antenna options?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 16, 2015 05:59 PM

Is there anyway you could share a small section of the ceiling, so we can get an idea what it looks like?  Choosing external antennas will change the pattern, and few if any or designed for aesthetics...

• 7.  RE: AP-224 external antenna options?

Posted Jun 16, 2015 06:01 PM

Thanks for the reply Colin. I will be going there later this week and I will make sure I get a pic of the celling.

• 8.  RE: AP-224 external antenna options?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 16, 2015 06:23 PM

If you look at the AP220 ordering guide here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/og/OG_AP-220.pdf section 4 will give you a list of external antennas you could attach to it.  The AP-ANT-13B probably has the lowest profile (a little over 2 inches square per antenna):  http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/ap-ant-13b_ss.pdf   You would need 3 of them for each access point, or order the 3 pack  AP-ANT-13B-KIT.

The rest of the antenna matrix is here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/unified-wired-wireless-access/19001/1/matrix-antennas.pdf