Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

AP-225 in Powersave mode performance

Hi,

We ave recently deployed AP-225s and we are running a combination of 225s, 135s and 125s. 

Some of these new AP-225s are running in PowerSaver mode (orange light). I am wondering if there could be a wireless performance issue or not full wireless capabilities of the AP is running in powersaver mode. 

Our switches are Catalyst 6500 with POE support (not POE+ or upoe). I am wondering if this could be causing the switch to go in power saver mode. My main concern is the wireless performance in this mode. Can anyone suggest if this is OK or I need to do something?

Thanks

Guru Elite

Re: AP-225 in Powersave mode performance

You should be fine. 5G is not effected and most 2.4 devices will not take advantage of 3 spatial streams.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480

in powersave mode your 2.4ghz radio will be limited to 1x3 mimo. your 5ghz won't be affected
Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]

Check to see if both your 2.4 and 5ghz radio are active. I believe with the 225 you will need 802.3at, PoE+ to power both radios and full functionality.

Odd, when I viewed this on the Airheads app it didn't show that anyone else had replied yet. Sorry for the "me too" post
Frequent Contributor I

From the documentation,

"Internal AP power optimization allows for increased functionality in the AP-220 Series when powered over 802.3af power. Starting in ArubaOS 6.3.1, the AP-220 Series will have full 802.11ac functionality when powered over 802.3af power. On standard 802.3af power, the USB port and second Ethernet port will be disabled. The 2.4 GHz radio runs with a single stream. The 5 GHz 11ac radio runs with full functionality. All features of the AP-220 Series functions on

802.3at or POE+ power."

We get support calls any time an AP enters the low power state. It seems to degrade service quite a bit in our environment.

Occasional Contributor I

Yes, I have the problem too, but my switch support POE+, which is strange that the AP can only work with power saving mode. Any one can help me?

Guru Elite

Cartman,

What is your problem?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Common causes-

Using the wrong size power cable on your switch

Maxing out the spower supply on the switch

Layer one problems with calbing

Occasional Contributor I

Hi, I have 6 AP225 APs with AC7005-RW controller, they are connected to a Huawei Switch S5700-24TP-PWR-SI. the switch support poe+ mode

My problem is that some APs are working under power saving mode sometimes. I have no idea what's going on, because all configurations are the same.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: