Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-275 as Wired Bridge

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AP-275 as Wired Bridge

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 14, 2014 05:37 PM

I am trying to make an AP-275, configured as a mesh point, act as a bridge for wired devices behind it.

Right now we are using third-party radios (Engenius ENH200) to accomplish this.

They have to authenticate with ClearPass using PSK/MacAuth in order to get into the correct role in the controller.

We are configuring the Engenius as a Client Bridge and connect a switch to the LAN port and then connect the end devices to the switch.

We then enter the mac address of the Engenius as a Known Endpoint in ClearPass. We then configure the Engenius to use the PSK.

After that, the Engenius forms a link with a 275 as a client, gets dumped into the correct role, and then bridges the traffic for the devices behind it.

If I have an AP-275 out there as a Mesh Point, how would I accomplish this using it instead of a third-party radio?

I have E1 on the AP configured in the correct Bridge Role. I have the Wired AP enabled and in "bridge" mode. I'm not sure of what else I have to do though. Using the other radios was pretty straight-forward because it just showed up as a client. Is there a way to make the 275 just connect as a client and skip the meshing altogether?

• 2.  RE: AP-275 as Wired Bridge

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 14, 2014 05:42 PM
    The 11ac access points do not currently support mesh. It is coming later this year as a software update.

• 3.  RE: AP-275 as Wired Bridge

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 14, 2014 05:44 PM

I am using a beta version that allows them to. I have many already functioning as mesh APs.

• 4.  RE: AP-275 as Wired Bridge

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 14, 2014 11:00 PM

Hi,

If you are using a controller based AP-275 (Campus AP), it cannot be configured as a standalone wireless client. We can configure it only as a mesh.

If you are using an instant version - IAP-275, this is possible. But there are certain limitations such as "when the Wi-Fi uplink is in use, the client IP is assigned by the internal DHCP server."

Below are the reference links to configure an Instant AP as a wireless client.

- https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/HowTo/How-to-configure-an-IAP-as-a-Wifi-client-though-both-CLI-and-GUI

- http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/InstantMobile/Advanced/Content/Instant%20User%20Guide%20-%20volumes/Uplink%20Configuration.htm (See Wi-Fi Uplink section).

Rajaguru Vincent

• 5.  RE: AP-275 as Wired Bridge

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 14, 2014 11:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am using a Campus AP. 

Is it possible to bridge the wired clients in a similar way using the 275 as a Mesh Point?

• 6.  RE: AP-275 as Wired Bridge

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2014 01:38 AM

Hi,

Mesh link configuration steps for bridging is given in the below kb article. See if this helps you.

- https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/HowTo/R-807

Rajaguru Vincent