Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP 335 VLAN Design Validation for redundancy

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  AP 335 VLAN Design Validation for redundancy

Posted May 04, 2018 05:00 PM

Hi,

I need some design validation help, this maybe a specific case, but I would like to know if anyone has tried this, or at least find out how AP 335's work in the backend in regards to the hitless failover between E0 and E1.

Imagine we have 5 floors, and each floor has its own access switch, with a dedicated Vlan. 

As I understand it, AP 335's will have one active link, an mGig capable E0, and a 1G E1, and the E1 will be on a standby for a hitless failover.

Questions; should E0 and E1 be in the same subnet?

Basically, if possible I would like to connect E0 of each AP in a particular floor to it's respective switch on the same floor, and preferably connect E1 to a different switch at another floor. This is to achieve a “true” power redundancy in the case of any single floor switch failure.

(e.g., 5th floor switch fails, APs will get power from the 4th floor using their E1, but 4th floor has a different subnet)

So do E0 & E1 have to be in the same subnet?

Best Regards,

Eilbron

• 2.  RE: AP 335 VLAN Design Validation for redundancy

Posted May 09, 2018 05:29 AM
    Good idea... just curious, are you running out of room on your current subnet, or would the run-on-a-different-subnet idea be another tactic to improve redundancy?

• 3.  RE: AP 335 VLAN Design Validation for redundancy

Posted May 09, 2018 05:29 AM
    Good idea... just curious, are you running out of room on your current subnet, or would the run-on-a-different-subnet idea be another tactic to improve redundancy?

• 4.  RE: AP 335 VLAN Design Validation for redundancy

Posted May 15, 2018 07:07 PM

Hi,

No, we have room on the subnet of each floor, but the subnets are not extended to another floor (each floor has a dedicated subnet). FYI, I got the answer to this; E0 and E1 must be in the same subnet for the hitless failover to work. So in my case I have created a common VLAN across all floors that is only dedicated to AP's. This way each AP can have a redundant leg in another floor (which is be teh same subnet) and in case if any particular switch fails, Wireless will stay up (unless the entire building loses power)

Best Regards,

Eilbron Bet Adam