Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

I fully understand that in a AOS 8.x environment, where a Mobility Master is enabled with a cluster or multiple cluster of Managed Devices (Controllers), the AP must have their initial DNS "aruba-master" or other method pointed to one of the MD in the cluster, and that only MD can terminate AP's.  

In a Master-Local AOS 8.1 environment can the Master Controller still terminate AP's?  I have many clients with only two controllers and this solution still makes sense.  I understand some features are only available via AOS 8.x in MM mode with clusters, but those features do not outweigh the simple two controller solution.  I have not been able to find a definitive answer in the release notes or configuration guide concerning AOS 8.1 Master-Local Mode.   

MVP

Re: AP Termination in Master-Local AOS 8.1

Yes , you can still use the Master\Local design scenario
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Occasional Contributor I

Victor,

Thank you for the quick reply.  Do you have documentation from Aruba?  I'd love to have a reference.

Thanks again.

Jamie

Aruba

OK. A 8.x Mobility Master cannot terminate any APs. AP adoption will also not work meaning that your AP discovery (Option 43 or DNS) must point to a manged device under the MM. 

As for migration there are two options:

1. Do not use a mobility master (VM or HW) and use "master controller mode" which delivers the new UI and some of the new features but allows you to upgrade and not have to deploy a new appliance. NOTE that you cannot terminate APs on a controller in Master Controller Mode. 

2. Use the MM and gain all the benefits and get a two-node cluster with Live Upgrade, Seamless Failovers, and User/AP load balancing. Possible expansions into DMZ/RAP controllers, Branch networks with a branch gateway, etc...are also possible.

So, yes, there is another appliance needed but there are several benefits in deploying one. Keep in mind, we have also released a MM-50 SKU for smaller/lab deployments as well. 

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos
Occasional Contributor I

Seth,

Thank you for looking at this.  In this case, its not a question about Mobility Master 8.x solutions.  This partains to only the Master-Local AOS 8.1 solution.  According to Victor, the first response, Master-Local 8.1 Mode configurations allow for direct AP termination on the Master Controller.  

I asked Victor for documenation.  I did not see the ability in the AOS 8.1 Release Notes or User Guide about Master-Local Controller Mode specifically terminating AP's.  If you have that documentation, please share.

Thank you!

MVP

[ Edited ]
My previous post is not correct , please use Seth answer
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Aruba

I will re-confirm this. In 8.x, NO AP termination of any sort is allowed on a Mobility Master (HW or VM) nor a controller acting in Master Controller Mode. 

This includes AP discovery and provisioning meaning that APs cannot terminate to any "master" just to be provisioned elsewhere either. 

Seth R. Fiermonti
-----
MVP

[ Edited ]
<EDIT>
Thank you

Victor Fabian
New Contributor

I add some questions regarding AOS 8.x

Not being able to terminate APs to a Master in AOS 8.x.

Does this only apply to a Master-Local scenario (Master Controller Mode)?

What about Master Active - Master Standby?

Let's say you have two controllers running 8.x, can you run them as Master Active - Master Standby and terminate APs on the Master?

Or is it impossible to build redundancy with two controller running 8.x without a Mobility Master?

Aruba

No. No APs can terminate on a mobility master or a controller running master controller mode. Redundancy could be somewhat achieved with two standalone controllers but there are several benefits you'd lose
Seth R. Fiermonti
-----
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: