Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP bridge mode / split tunnel mode

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  AP bridge mode / split tunnel mode

Posted Jul 08, 2015 10:54 AM

Hi,

I have question regarding AP bridge and split tunnel mode. Lets assume that first AP works in bridge mode and second works in split tunnel mode. In split tunnel mode I woud like to bridge traffic localy.

What will happen when controller will be broken? I guess that AP will still bridge traffic locally.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Mathew

• 2.  RE: AP bridge mode / split tunnel mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2015 10:56 AM
    Are you using them as campus or remote APs?

• 3.  RE: AP bridge mode / split tunnel mode

Posted Jul 08, 2015 11:06 AM

Could you consider both scenario?

• 4.  RE: AP bridge mode / split tunnel mode
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2015 11:14 AM

Split-tunnel is not available in campus mode.

When the APs are configured as RAPs, you can configure the SSID to stay up if the controller goes down, but it would depend on if you’re using PSK vs open vs 802.1X.

Bridge mode campus APs require a controller to be available.

Remote-AP Operation

Configures when the virtual AP operates on a remote AP:

l        always—Permanently enables the virtual AP (Bridge Mode only).No authentication supported.

l        backup—Enables the virtual AP if the remote AP cannot connect to the controller(Bridge Mode only).No authentication supported.

l        persistent—Permanently enables the virtual AP after the remote AP initially connects to the controller (Bridge Mode only).

l        standard—Enables the virtual AP when the remote AP connects to the controller.Use standard option for tunneled, split-tunneled, and Bridge SSIDs.

Note: Only open/PSK security mode is allowed for always/backup RAP operation. No authentication is supported for always/backup.

• 5.  RE: AP bridge mode / split tunnel mode

Posted Jul 08, 2015 11:26 AM

Ok, thanks for quick response but I have two additional question.

What about split tunnel in RAP mode?

What about users who were authenticared using 802.1X in split tunnel mode before controller will be broken. I assume that this users are still connect to my networks and nobody is not able to connect to my network when controller is not working.

Regards,

Mathew