Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

AP's in a Mesh keep rebooting

We have two sites that are linked via two AP 60s with external aerials. These AP's have been setup as a mesh in order to extend the site to another building.

This has been up and running for the past 3 years but now the link between the two sites keeps dropping

When I look at the logs we keep seeing

Oct  9 05:08:55  nanny[139]: <303022> <WARN> |AP Start_Hill_AP@10.233.82.202 nanny|  Reboot Reason: AP rebooted Tue Oct 9 14:07:08 BST 2012: SAPD: Unable to contact switch. Called by sapd_keepalive_cb:4462

Oct  9 05:14:34  nanny[139]: <303022> <WARN> |AP Start_Hill_AP@10.233.82.202 nanny|  Reboot Reason: AP rebooted Tue Oct 9 14:12:26 BST 2012: SAPD: Unable to contact switch. Called by sapd_ap_ready_cb:3142

The Start_Hill AP is connected directly to the controller so we can't understand why it keeps rebooting.

They are running software version 3.4.0.4

Can anyone suggest anything?

Guru Elite

Re: AP's in a Mesh keep rebooting

Check the ethernet interface where Start_hill is connected to make sure the AP negotiated the correct speed and duplex on that port.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

I have checked the port and it is connected at 100mbs full duplex. The port is set to Auto speed and auto duplex.

There are no errors either.  However the controller was rebooted yesterday and the cabling to the AP changed.

Guru Elite

What is between the access point and controller physically?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

There are two CAT5 cables that have been run from the AP to the comms room.

At the AP end, the cable is terminated with an RJ45 (so it can plug directly into the AP). At the other end the cables are terminated onto RJ45 sockets and then a patch lead from the socket to the controller.

Guru Elite

If the only thing that was changed is the cable, I want to say, please test the cable.

Are you powering the AP with a power injector?  What type and what is the length of the cable?

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

We only changed the cable in an attempt to fix the problem.

Both AP's are being powered by PoE. The one connected to the controller is using one of the PoE ports on that. The AP is approximately 35mtrs from the controller

The other is getting it's PoE from the network switch installed. This is a distance of approximately 10 mtrs. This switch is also providing PoE to the IP phones installed there.

The phones are using the Mesh to get back to the telephone system at the head office (where the Start_Hill AP is located).

Guru Elite

While that access point is connected see if it is missing any heartbeats.  On the commandline, type:

show ap debug system-status ip-addr <ip sddress of ap> | begin Heartbeat
Heartbeat Stats
---------------
Heartbeats Sent  Heartbeats Received  Measurement Duration
---------------  -------------------  --------------------
382489           379275               since last rebootstrap
382489           379275               total since bootup

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

I have run the command for both AP's and they are saying 0 sent and 0 received

Guru Elite

Can you ping the AP from the controller?

What provides DHCP to the AP, or is it statically addressed?

What does the access point use to discover the controller?  DNS, DHCP, Broadcast?

When you type "show ap database", what is the last ip address that the AP ever got?

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: