Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP175 point to Point MESH with ANT-AP2X2 5614L distance

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AP175 point to Point MESH with ANT-AP2X2 5614L distance

Posted Nov 16, 2012 09:05 AM

Trying to get a sence if I have the right gear selected.  2 buildings 8 KM (5 miles) apart point to point line of sight (in the country - no obstructions) elevations are only 6 ' different.  I have AP175's and want to ask if I have the right Anenna selected.  We have the AP175's left over from a building that we repurposed. Basically its just a bridge for the new building.  Anyone have any thoughts.  We have a useing 6000 controllers.

• 2.  RE: AP175 point to Point MESH with ANT-AP2X2 5614L distance

Posted Nov 16, 2012 06:46 PM

Hello,  We have the same setup but only about 500ft between our links.  I always get 300mbps up and down which is awesome.  

And yes, its overkill for such a short distance, but next year, we will switch it to a new building further away.  baby steps, i guess ;)

Anyhow, I did the Google Earth setup that Aruba has where they can show you an estimated signal propagation from those antennas/APs/degrees of placement, ect.  My map showed me a signal of 6mps, in channels 149-165, pure N, 40mhz, at about two miles.  Of course I cannot verify how far they go (unless I mounted the mesh point on a golf cart and took off ;).

I would rig them up and configure them, and at the very least, you can test them in AirMonitor mode to see channel interferance and noise levels accross the channels.  

See if you get lucky with a link.  have one person at each antenna on the phone with each other adjusting until you get your best signal.

Good Luck

• 3.  RE: AP175 point to Point MESH with ANT-AP2X2 5614L distance

Posted Nov 16, 2012 10:50 PM

Halladay,

The antenna is most likely the problem.

The 5614L is meant for the "lower" 5GHz band, meaning 4.9GHz.   It is tuned specifically for that subband, and will attenuate signals in the 5.8GHz band quite a bit.

The antenna you should be using is the 5614U - for "upper".   It's specifically tuned to operate from 5725-5850  (channels 149-165).

Talk to your salesperson - not sure how you obtained the wrong antenna but perhaps we can help as long as the existing unit hasn't been weatherproofed or otherwise modified.

• 4.  RE: AP175 point to Point MESH with ANT-AP2X2 5614L distance

Posted Nov 17, 2012 12:18 AM

Opps, i forgot about the 4.9ghz band... that, you will need a license for