Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Additional WLAN Suggestion

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Additional WLAN Suggestion

Posted Apr 02, 2014 07:41 AM

Hi everyone,

Newbie question.  I have an organization that will be using a few of our school facilities for a couple weeks for a program.  They've asked if we can spin up a seperate hidden SSID with a simple wpa-psk for them.  What's the best way for me to add this wlan to our exiting setup.  BTW, we have roughly 3000+ Ap's with 3 7240 Controllers setup as Master-Local-Local.  all traffic is tunneled back to our data centre to the controllers.  Suggestions?

thanks!

• 2.  RE: Additional WLAN Suggestion
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 02, 2014 08:21 AM

It depends which way may be best for you :smileywink:

Answer these questions for you:

Would you need this new SSID on all of your existing APs? 3000+ AP seems like a rather huge setup, how are they organized on your controllers, one big AP group or various smaller ones?

How many SSIDs do you presently have (the more SSIDs you operate, the more WLAN overhead will occur which will impact on your performance)?

In general, if you are not yet well experienced with Aruba, you might try to use the configuration wizard (in the GUI "Configuration" -> "Wizards" -> "Campus WLAN"). It will guide you quite well to create the basic WLAN you aim for.

• 3.  RE: Additional WLAN Suggestion

Posted Apr 03, 2014 08:07 AM

@LongIsland wrote:

It depends which way may be best for you :smileywink:

Answer these questions for you:

Would you need this new SSID on all of your existing APs? 3000+ AP seems like a rather huge setup, how are they organized on your controllers, one big AP group or various smaller ones?

How many SSIDs do you presently have (the more SSIDs you operate, the more WLAN overhead will occur which will impact on your performance)?

In general, if you are not yet well experienced with Aruba, you might try to use the configuration wizard (in the GUI "Configuration" -> "Wizards" -> "Campus WLAN"). It will guide you quite well to create the basic WLAN you aim for.

Thanks Longisland.  I want to stay away from tossing the new ssid to all 3000 + AP's.  The 3000 are organized in to differnet groups respective of the building that they are installed in.  As well, currently we have only 2 ssid's broadcasting system wide so IF we had to add a third ssid only on a specific AP within a specific building it shouldnt be an impact to the existing.  

After some more thought I just spun up another AP group and had a couple AP's provisioned for the new group and had them sent out to site.  

Thanks Again for the suggestion!