Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AirGroup Auto-Associate and VLAN questions

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  AirGroup Auto-Associate and VLAN questions

Posted Mar 21, 2017 03:13 PM

We are looking at enabling AirGroup, and have run into some odd configuration settings that don't seem to be clearly documented.  Maybe I'm just looking at it through the wrong pair of glasses.  If anyone has any insight into these questions, I'd appreciate it.

1. In the context of airgroup, does anyone have additional information on auto-associate by ap-name?  In documentation it mentions that ap-name will include the named AP and it's neighbors.  How does it decide what a neighbor is?

2. AirGroup will be allowed for all VLANs at the start.  If I disallow it for a vlan, what exactly does that do?  Does it block all of those services from transacting any data on the vlan?  Does it still allow that data to flow local to an AP?

Thanks,

Josh

• 2.  RE: AirGroup Auto-Associate and VLAN questions
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 21, 2017 04:06 PM

@MarshGBSD wrote:

We are looking at enabling AirGroup, and have run into some odd configuration settings that don't seem to be clearly documented.  Maybe I'm just looking at it through the wrong pair of glasses.  If anyone has any insight into these questions, I'd appreciate it.

1. In the context of airgroup, does anyone have additional information on auto-associate by ap-name?  In documentation it mentions that ap-name will include the named AP and it's neighbors.  How does it decide what a neighbor is?

2. AirGroup will be allowed for all VLANs at the start.  If I disallow it for a vlan, what exactly does that do?  Does it block all of those services from transacting any data on the vlan?  Does it still allow that data to flow local to an AP?

Thanks,

Josh

1.  If a service is assigned to an AP-name, a user on that AP or any AP that AP can see will be able to connect to the service.  It is designed for room-level visibility of things like AppleTVs, where you only want people in the area to see those devices.

2. If you disallow Airgroup for a specific VLAN, that means that laptops, phones on those VLANs will not be able to see service (mdns, dlna, etc), while on those VLANs.

Airgroup in genral  does two things:

1- Allows advertisements of services that are typically constricted to the same VLAN to devices on different VLANs.

2-Allows advertisements of services that are typically blocked when multicast filtering is enabled.

The disallow VLAN will block only advertisements of services to devices in that VLAN