Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AirPlay devices with numbers in parentheses

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AirPlay devices with numbers in parentheses

Posted Oct 24, 2014 07:45 AM
      |   view attached

I have noticed that AirPlay behaviour seems to have changed a bit recently.

I see AirPlay devices with parentheses sometimes. See the attached screenshot from an iPhone.

Even with newly configured AppleTVs that have never been connected to the network before.

Has anyone else seen this as well?

This seems to have changed with Apple deploying iOS 7.0 on AppleTV sometime in September.

• 2.  RE: AirPlay devices with numbers in parentheses

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2014 07:48 AM
    Is the number causing an issue?

• 3.  RE: AirPlay devices with numbers in parentheses

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2014 07:50 AM

@hmayr wrote:

I have noticed that AirPlay behaviour seems to have changed a bit recently.

I see AirPlay devices with parentheses sometimes. See the attached screenshot from an iPhone.

Even with newly configured AppleTVs that have never been connected to the network before.

Has anyone else seen this as well?

This seems to have changed with Apple deploying iOS 7.0 on AppleTV sometime in September.

This is not new and has been happening for sometime.  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3855673

• 4.  RE: AirPlay devices with numbers in parentheses

Posted Oct 24, 2014 07:55 AM

@Tim:

No, this is not causing an issue. The AirPlay functionality is still working.

@Colin:

So I guess I am lucky that it did not happen before. :-) Strangely I only see the number (3) after the AppleTVs in our network.

I tried clearing the airgroup server entries on the controller as well as removing and re-entering the entry in ClearPass but this did not help.

Maybe this is something in the Bonjour messages the AppleTV sends out?!