Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave RAid on a virtual server

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Airwave RAid on a virtual server

Posted Mar 15, 2016 03:02 PM

Hello Guys

I always wondered that if you use a virtual server and you had a virtual server but with raid 5 in which you will want to put your airwave would that be a problem?

I remenber reading that the airwave just support Raid 10 is th eonly support raid by airwave

What will happen in this case? i was wondering if that just apply when you are using a physical server but not sure.

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Airwave RAid on a virtual server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2016 03:05 PM

So long as the disk array suports the IOPS required by the AMP, it should be fine. However, note that if you are putting multiple VMs on the same RAID/disk array, the IOPS of the array has to be able to encompass the IOPS requirement of the AMP as well as the other machines running there. if the IOPS is over-subscribed, AMP performance will be impacted.

• 3.  RE: Airwave RAid on a virtual server

Posted Mar 15, 2016 03:17 PM

Hello Howard Thanks for your asnwer! so whatever disk array they are using that does not matter?

Thats good to know.   Ill Make sure that they need to support for Maximum Input/Output Operations Per Second (IOPs)= 15000 

Target deployment has around 200 aps and 4 controllers

Would that be enough?

Anything else related to the Disk array and hard drive that i need to think of?

We will have 120 GB for it

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: Airwave RAid on a virtual server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2016 04:19 PM

Hi Carlos,

Below are couple of point from server sizing guide which you can keep in mind for RAID configuration for Airwave server,

For RAID 10:
    Dedicated Hardware RAID controller with caching and battery backup or non volatile (NV) cache.
    RAID controller should be configured for Write-Back caching with battery backup (unless NVcache is selected, then Force Write-Back without Battery backup is recommended).
    Individual Drive Caching should be enabled.
    Ensure that all disks are assigned and configured to a single volume.

Note: 
    RAID 10 is the only supported RAID configuration for AirWave.
    Software RAID and SATA drives are NOT SUPPORTED for any configuration of AirWave.

Any parity based RAID (5/6/etc) is not recommended.

Regards,

Vishnu

• 5.  RE: Airwave RAid on a virtual server

Posted Mar 15, 2016 04:22 PM

Hello Vishu

I already read that.  My question was if that apply as well if you are working with a virtual enviroment with virtual machine for the airwave server.

Those Raid requiremets should be a requirement even if they working with virtual machines? what i mean is that if its mandatory that their existing VMware infraestructure should be running on raid 10 to work properly with the airwave that will be inside a virtual machine?

Cheers

Carlos

• 6.  RE: Airwave RAid on a virtual server
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2016 04:26 PM

The same rules apply yes, but IMHO for just over 200 devices, unless the user counts are very very high, RAID 5 will work so long as the IOPS metrics are there. If the question was what will TAC support should an issue arise, if they find the subsytem doesn't meet spec, they will direct you to upgrade to new hardware. 

• 7.  RE: Airwave RAid on a virtual server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2016 04:35 PM

Hi Carlos,

Yes, that is right. It should be same for VM as well. As Howard mentioned it would work however when load increases we would come across performance issues. Hence, RAID 10 is recommended for everything. 

Regards,

Vishnu

• 8.  RE: Airwave RAid on a virtual server

Posted Mar 15, 2016 04:57 PM

Thank you guys!

its soo cool that you get almost instant access to Aruba recomendations from Aruba Engineers on this forums.

Best vender community i have seen so far.  Which i can tell you guys.  In other big vendors you dont get an asnwer in days...

Glad i only work with Aruba in the company i work for :)

Cheers

Carlos