Wireless Access

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave unable to poll with SNMP v3

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Airwave unable to poll with SNMP v3

Posted Aug 29, 2017 11:39 AM

I've searched for other forum topics on this and the general consensus is "make sure your device group is using SNMP v3 to poll".  I've updated my communication template for Aruba to include my SNMP v3 user, auth, and priv strings.  I then updated one of my groups to use SNMP v3, but now everything is showing down.

I've reverted to SNMP v2c, then back again, but it does not seem to work either.  I've also tried to re-enter my SNMP v3 user, auth, and priv strings.  Still no go, and all my devices in this group are now showing as down.  I then noticed that under the Discover page, it looks like I'm only able to use SNMP v1, v2c, or HTTP as scan options.  

I'm wondering if there may be some sort of limitation in the version of Airwave I'm running, or if I've done something wrong.  Version is 8.2.1.

• 2.  RE: Airwave unable to poll with SNMP v3

Posted Aug 29, 2017 12:43 PM

I've also tried rebooting the server itself per another forum thread indicating it could be hung processes.  No luck.

• 3.  RE: Airwave unable to poll with SNMP v3
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 29, 2017 01:04 PM

Per TAC:

• The SNMPv3 username and password credentials are added in Device Setup - Communication page.
    • In Group - Basic settings page - SNMPv3 is chosen &
    • The SNMPv3 credentials are updated in the device Manage page.

I had not done the last bullet point.  I had only done the device setup -> communication step and change the polling method to v3, and did not realize that each individual controller needed to be updated as well.

• 4.  RE: Airwave unable to poll with SNMP v3

Posted Jan 22, 2019 02:17 PM

I followed the steps provided via TAC and still no cigar, (SNMP get failed) still continues. Its only our ClearPass appliances that are down, however. 

Verified SNMPv3 settings match in groups list, device setup, on the individual ClearPass appliances, and the device communication settings in ClearPass itself. 

@patrickw wrote:

Per TAC:

• The SNMPv3 username and password credentials are added in Device Setup - Communication page.
    • In Group - Basic settings page - SNMPv3 is chosen &
    • The SNMPv3 credentials are updated in the device Manage page.

I had not done the last bullet point.  I had only done the device setup -> communication step and change the polling method to v3, and did not realize that each individual controller needed to be updated as well.