Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Alternative way to reset "admin" password than via the web interface?

Hello,

I am wondering if there is an alternative way to reset the "admin" password on the Aruba Airwave (AMP) web GUI such as a CLI or API?

Can I just SSH into the device via the "root access" and run a command to reset it?

Thank you!

Re: Alternative way to reset "admin" password than via the web interface?

Any user who has an administrator role and who can successfully log in could update the password from the gui.  If there's not another admin user, then the cli is the only way to do it.  This article describes the process: http://www.airwave.com/support/knowledge-base/?sid=50140000000Meqe .

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks! that was very helpful!

Occasional Contributor I

Just to add to that helpful knowledbase, do you know HOW thehash is generated? If there is a command, or if it is a standard hash (ie. MD5, SHA-1, etc).  

Thanks,

It's an MD5 hash.

Occasional Contributor I

Thanks for your help.

Occasional Contributor II

Hey, i have locked myself out of my airwave gui and the link you posted goes to a 404 error.  do you know what it was titled? 

Thanks 

From (http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Airwave-Password-Recovery/td-p/34149)

-----------------

If you've lost the password you use to log in as admin to AMP's web interface, you can update it from the command line with this command which stores a hashed version of 'admin' as the password in our database:

From the CLI:

# dbc "update users set password='2cf94b0aea63ebf7bf41c90fe500603e' where username ='admin';"

If you use a name other than admin, you can change your user's password by modifying the where clause above. For example, to change joemontana's password to admin, this would work:

# dbc "update users set password='2cf94b0aea63ebf7bf41c90fe500603e' where username ='joemontana';"

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company

This is not working for me to change password back to admin, when I run the command it says update 1, but login doesnt work.

Although you reset the password, you also need to re-enable the account.  There's 2 additional fields to check.

Blanket command to enable all accounts and reset login attempts

#dbc "update users set login_attempts = '0', is_enabled = 1;"

note that login attempts is an integer string, so needs single quotes.  if you want to be more specific, you can add where username=<insert user> at the end like so:

#dbc "update users set login_attempts = '0', is_enabled = 1 where username = 'rgin';"

Referencing article: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Network-Management/Airwave-Password-Recovery/m-p/34149/highlight/true#M351

Keep in mind that in AMP 8+, there's an additional column 'is_enabled' that should be set to 1.  You may also need to reset 'login_attempts' as well (by default, the max login attempts is 10 tries before account is disabled).

# dbc "select * from users where username='admin';"

-[ RECORD 1 ]---+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
id | 1
username | admin
password | 2cf94b0aea63ebf7bf41c90fe500603e
role_id | 5
full_name |  admin
email |  admin@blank.com
phone |  555-555-5555
notes |
password_format | md5
login_attempts | 0
is_enabled | 1

Rob Gin