Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor I

Android phones can't get IP on reconnect...

I'm running a 3400 Controller on 6.4.2.6 with guests authenticating via captive portal.  Guest accounts are created in the local DB and DHCP for Guest is done on the controller.

As of last week, I've been having some android users complaining that their phones are not able to get an address when connecting to my guest network (after being connected, leaving for lunch, and then coming back into the building typically).

When I look in the controller, I see their session and the controller thinks they have an IP.  There is no traffic for the session, but it seems to be active.  As soon as I kill their session, they can connect again.

The only change I could think of that may be causing this is that I changed the user idle timeout to 2 hours on my guest AAA profile.  Prior to that, it was set to 10 minutes, I believe - and users were complaining that they had to log in several times a day.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Guru Elite

Re: Android phones can't get IP on reconnect...

If your user idle timeout exceeds their lease, that could be what is happening.  The lease needs to be twice the user idle timeout.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

I just verified that the lease is 9 hours and idle timeout is 2 hours, so that's probably not it.

do you have enough available IP addresses?
Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
Guru Elite

mmartin wrote:

I just verified that the lease is 9 hours and idle timeout is 2 hours, so that's probably not it.

What is the user role for your production users?  What is the output of "show rights <role>"?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Have you got an 'any any svc-dhcp permit' at the top of the policy for that role?

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
Frequent Contributor I

205 free leases.  Plus these clients already have a lease and an active session in the controller that lists an IP tied to their MAC.

Frequent Contributor I

Production users?  You mean the guest users having an issue?  Or the role for internal users?

Guru Elite

The guest users having the issue after they have authenticated successfully.

Colin Joseph

Frequent Contributor I

Derived Role = 'guest'
 Up BW:No Limit   Down BW:No Limit  
 L2TP Pool = default-l2tp-pool
 PPTP Pool = default-pptp-pool
 Periodic reauthentication: Disabled
 DPI Classification: Enabled
 Web Content Classification: Enabled
 ACL Number = 4/94
 Max Sessions = 65535

Check CP Profile for Accounting = TRUE

Do you want the ACL's too?

Search Airheads