Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 7210 Controller 6.3.1.7 to .21 or to 6.4.x.x question

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba 7210 Controller 6.3.1.7 to .21 or to 6.4.x.x question

Posted Apr 03, 2016 10:38 PM

I have a quick question, we are currently running 6.3.1.7 that is controlling over 110 access points at the moment.  What should I upgrade to firmware wise?  I see 6.4.2.16 is the latest, but I also see 6.3.1.21 is also in the latest?  What is the recommended latest stable version I should upgrade?  If 6.3.1.21 is the recommendation, can you explain what the 6.4 and 6.3 difference is so I know in the future?

• 2.  RE: Aruba 7210 Controller 6.3.1.7 to .21 or to 6.4.x.x question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2016 10:43 PM

6.3.1.21 is the latest in the 6.3.1.x train.  6.4.2.16 is the latest in the 6.4.2.x train.  They honestly have little to do with each other; the release numbers are not synchronized or anything.  You can sort of look at them as different software.

The big question is, why are upgrading?  Most people upgrade to fix bugs or they are looking for added features.  If everything is working, it does not serve you to upgrade, unless you have hardware that only runs on a different train of code.  If you say why you are upgrading, that will dictate if you stay in the same train or you need to upgrade to a different train.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 7210 Controller 6.3.1.7 to .21 or to 6.4.x.x question

Posted Apr 03, 2016 10:48 PM

Thanks for the very fast response.  We tend to like to stay up to date on the latest firmwares as much as we can and we have an upgrade window coming up that we usually only get once a year since this is in a hospitatility environment.

We will also be adding some 220's to this environment and only issue we have had is some areas is signal strength with the AP135's, but currently testing some EIRP settings.  We noticed the config had a max EIRP of 15.

• 4.  RE: Aruba 7210 Controller 6.3.1.7 to .21 or to 6.4.x.x question
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2016 10:53 PM

If that is the case, review the release notes for .21 and see how it affects you.  There could be changes, but when you stay in the same train, theoretically there should only be bug fixes and not major changes that you typically should be concerned about.  You should look in the release notes just in case there is a known issue or if there is a behavior change as the result of a bug being fixed.

• 5.  RE: Aruba 7210 Controller 6.3.1.7 to .21 or to 6.4.x.x question

Posted Sep 26, 2017 11:57 PM

G'day Everyone,

I need my senior advise. 

Currently we are running 6.4.2.6 IOS on 200 Aruba controllers and facing an issue where Apple/Samsung devices move from CORP SSID to Guest SSID for no reason and when user connect manually back to CORP ssid , the device keeps the Guest logon role. 

So as per the Aruba advise they have told us to upgrade the firmware to 6.4.4.15 to resolve this issue. 

I need some expert advise if we upgrade then, 

What best practise i should follow. My master controller is running in 

Active/Stand by mode and Should i upgrad master first or stand by contoller. 

The number of local controllers are about 200 . most of them are 7010 or 7005.  Is 6.4.4.15 ios is safe to move on becuase its fairly new and during upgrade it require lot of coordination /efforts to tell other site manager about Wifi outage. 

Please be advise what the best way and is 6.4.4.15 is ok . 

Thanks