Wireless Access

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 800 controller - error role authenticated is unknown after factory reset

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Aruba 800 controller - error role authenticated is unknown after factory reset

Posted Feb 22, 2013 05:09 PM

After some research, I probably know the answer to this but hopefully somebody can help and advise.

I've inherited an Aruba 800 controller (yes, its a few years old!) which was working but needed some attention. It was decided by somebody higher up the chain (!) to reset the controller and start again from scratch - we have 10 remote AP's over 5 sites.

Anyway, someone performed a 'write erase all' and factory defaulted the unit. After re-entering all the required settings, we're able to provision AP's again but get the notification 'error - role authenticated is unknown' .

After some googling, it looks to me like some licences were deleted after the factory reset. The problem is i've inherited this and have no idea when it was purchased or any licence keys that came with it.

Is the error critical? Can I continue to use the controller safely in its current state? Is it possible to remove the notification?

In terms of what I want to achieve, the end result should be that I advertise one SSID with WPA2 PSK across all 5 sites and a Guest SSID using the captive portal. Do I need any licencing to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 2.  RE: Aruba 800 controller - error role authenticated is unknown after factory reset

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2013 05:13 PM

You should really have no problems in terms of passing traffic, but you might have problems with securing your traffic.  Things like split tunneling and giving users differentiated access (block guests from internal networks) no longer exist if yo do not have PEF...

• 3.  RE: Aruba 800 controller - error role authenticated is unknown after factory reset
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 22, 2013 05:28 PM
    Hi
    Good night.

Type "show license" (cli) and see if you have the Policy Enforcement License.  > You need it in order to use Captive portal.
    or via GUI:
    Alert_Flag.jpg
    If you didn't had PEF lic or PEFNG before the factory reset so -don't have to worry. That error is cosmetic.
    :robothappy:

Me

• 4.  RE: Aruba 800 controller - error role authenticated is unknown after factory reset
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 24, 2013 11:45 AM

Thanks for your quick responses. I contacted Aruba support and they were really helpful and supplied me with the PEF licence code. I would just add though that although they gave me the information, I think they would prefer users to go through their reseller for support. Still, a response in under 30 mins from them on a Saturday evening (here in the UK) was outstanding.

With regards to the captive portal not working without a PEF licence, it does seem to work but you don't get the split tunnneling option.