Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba AP225 as Mesh portal and Access Point?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba AP225 as Mesh portal and Access Point?

Posted Jan 15, 2018 07:56 PM

I'm new to using Aruba equipment and have an aruba 7005 controller that I would like to setup with at least one mesh access point.  For a household it seems like it has to be setup in this manner given I only have 3 devices.

Controller-->Mesh Portal )))) <----wifi signal----> (((( Mesh Access Point.  

It seems like a waste to have an access point be designated as a mesh portal and not be able to act as an access point as well.

1. Can a mesh portal be used as an access point as well as a portal in a household environment?

2. Can the devices that are next to the access point access it using ethernet as well as wifi, or only one or the other?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Aruba AP225 as Mesh portal and Access Point?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2018 08:05 PM

1.  Yes, but there is a performance penalty when an access point is doing mesh as well as serving clients on the same radio.  This is unavoidable.

2.  Yes.

• 3.  RE: Aruba AP225 as Mesh portal and Access Point?

Posted Jan 16, 2018 08:36 PM

Thanks. 

About how much % performance loss is expected vs using a dedicated mesh point?

I'd like to have devices near the portal connect to the portal, and devices near the mesh point connect to the mesh point.

• 4.  RE: Aruba AP225 as Mesh portal and Access Point?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2018 09:01 PM

It all depends how much traffic is being passed on both the point and portal.  Wireless bandwidth is shared.  I would say 50% conservatively.