Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Re: Aruba IAP305, guest network not getting DHCP IP

Provided by Avaya POE switch.  I can ping all AP's IP addresses just fine.

Are my setup all correct?

By the way, I have no problem getting IP assigned and stay connected to the wifi network in the production network.  So that tells me that there is no physical connectivity problem.  

I have come acrossed another thread from 2015 and I'm reading over it now, it seems to describe my problem.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controllerless-Networks/Local-DHCP-Scope/td-p/225860/page/2

Guru Elite

The resolution in that thread was a configuration, not a code issue.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Seems to be the same exact same problem I have.  The times that I do get an IP, it's from the virtual controller.  If I am standing by an AP that's not the VC, then connection fails without an IP address assigned.  Is my solution then creating a separate VLAN on the switches and trunk all AP's, create a scope on the internal DHCP server in the prod network to assign IP addresses?  It seems odd to me that only VC can assign IP to a guest network when the virtual controller managed option is chosen, and all the other AP's I connect to will not assign IP's, even though they all use the same config?

I just checked the other deployment I did in the past, using five IAP103 units on firmware v6.4.4.8 also powered via POE switches.  I am using virtual controller managed and "default" as vlan assignment option for the guest network.  And I have no problem getting an IP assigned via any AP, and the switch ports are not in trunking mode.  The other difference is that place uses Adtran switches.  

I am going to try using the "default" option for vlan assignment and see what happens.

I'd like to make things clear here regarding DHCP configuration, because it took me some time to figure out the DHCP configuration options in the pdf manual and no one on the dicussion forum anywhere has clarified how this is done within Aruba's virtual controller's DHCP interface.  After a few weeks of back and forth, I've figured out how this works properly.

Inside the virtual controller web interface, go to More, DHCP server.  If you'd like to use the default random VLAN number that gets assigned by Aruba, then you specify DHCP parameters at the very top where it says "Default DHCP scope".  This scope gets used/applied when you select "virtual controller managed" for client IP assignment and "default" for client VLAN assignment.  If you elect to use "custom" for client VLAN assignment, then you need to create a Local DHCP scope at the bottom of that DHCP server screen and select that scope.  If you'd like to use the "network assigned" ip address assignment option, you need to delete the locally created DHCP scope or blank out the default scope on top, or the network assigned option DOES NOT WORK at all and configuration reverts back everytime you choose that option. 

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: