Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Aruba QOS Working way

Hi aruba expert.

Let say I want to create QOS on our Aruba controller for 3 SSID. One for 20% No 2 SSID  20% and No.3 SSID for 60 % . How will work. Let say No3 SSID only using 40% the rest SSID will still work with 20 % or will increase amount and then when  NO 3 SSID need fully wrok the rest 2 SSID will decrease and will back to 20 % or not? If Qos do that way how we can test? Any software and application ?

Thanks,

Win

Guru Elite

Re: Aruba QOS Working way

How the traffic management profile functions depends on whether you have it configured as hard or soft.  Hard means that an SSID that is set for 30% will never exceed 30% of the throughput.  Soft means it can exceed 30% if the other SSIDs are not exceeding their throughput.

I have to say that this function is rarely used, because it has the ability to restrict legitimate traffic.   This was put into ArubaOS for multi-tenant operations where different companies had to be guaranteed a certain percentage of the wireless bandwidth.  It is much better to implement a bandwidth policy on a user role, so that only specific devices are restricted, and the others can pass traffic as fast as possible.

More information is here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_65x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/ARM/Traffic_Shaping.htm

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Hi Colin,

Thanks for answer .. what is soft and hard ? current our company using Model  aruba 3600 and Firmware version 6.1.3.4. Where we can select hard and soft ? let say if we set for one ssid 60% that is minimun bandwidth or Maximun bandwidth ? if the rest of 40 % not using  that  i create 60% one can go up to 100% ? or will stay on 60% ?

Guru Elite

Did you get a chance to look at the link in the my post above?  It would be in the Traffic Management Profile under QOS.

In the end it makes troubleshooting much harder, and should only be used in limited circumstances..

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Dear Colin,

Thanks for help . I look the link ... Currently I know how to configure Qos but I don't know how it work. Confusing for bandwidth . I created profile with % set for BSSID and want to assign on AP group > Qos .. there have two profile 802.11a and 802.11g. If i set only one for profile what will happen ? let say i only set on 802.11g . The result ?

Thanks & Regards,

Win

Guru Elite

If you only have it set for 802.11g, it will only be enforced for 802.11g (2.4ghz band).

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: