Wireless Access

last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Wi-Fi Dropping ping 1%

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Aruba Wi-Fi Dropping ping 1%

Posted Jul 11, 2017 08:42 AM

Good day,

I am writing to you conserning an issue with Instant access point. We have setup Aruba wifi devices on our office, but they seem to be drafting from one access point to another (Mobility Trailer) while not changing their physical location, thus resulting in a ping loss. Are there any settings we could tweek to resolve this issue?

!!Everything works perfectly from physical network!!

• 2.  RE: Aruba Wi-Fi Dropping ping 1%

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 11, 2017 08:48 AM
    Everything works perfectly on the wired network, because it is not a shared mechanism. Wired is also largely immune from interference, and the performance of some clients do not affect the performance of others. In addition the wired network requires little if any tuning, while wireless typically does.

I would make sure broadcast filter arp is enabled on your SSID and you should make sure that your ARM maximum transmit power is no more than 18. The roaming while stationary problem happens frequently because of powering being too high or too much coverage.

• 3.  RE: Aruba Wi-Fi Dropping ping 1%

Posted Jul 12, 2017 01:30 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have already set these to MIN 12 - MAX 18, I am using IAP-315. The issue still seems to persist. It roams between the access points every one,two minutes. I can see it in Monitoring->Mobility Trail.

• 4.  RE: Aruba Wi-Fi Dropping ping 1%

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2017 07:34 AM

Dropping pings 1% is not bad at all.

What band are these clients on?

What channel width are you running?

How high are your access points mounted?

How far apart are your access points mounted?

What kind of structure is it?  (office building, open floor plan, warehouse)

• 5.  RE: Aruba Wi-Fi Dropping ping 1%

Posted Jul 12, 2017 09:50 AM

What band are these clients on?

5Ghz

What channel width are you running?

How high are your access points mounted?

about 4 meters (13 ft)

How far apart are your access points mounted?

There are quite a few APs. But one AP's position the distance from device is about ~11,15,19 meters (~ 36, 45, 62 ft.)

What kind of structure is it?  (office building, open floor plan, warehouse)

Office building, we have them on two floors, but the upper floor ones don't reach through since it is a heavy concrete structure.

The reseller provided us with Ekahau solution for AP planning. 

• 6.  RE: Aruba Wi-Fi Dropping ping 1%

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2017 10:38 AM

The default channel width is 80.  That should be changed to either 40 or 20.  Very few infrastructures are suited to 80 mhz channels.

Please see here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978  for more ideas.

• 7.  RE: Aruba Wi-Fi Dropping ping 1%

Posted Jul 13, 2017 02:55 AM

I disabled 80Mhz as you suggested and did a much more extensive test for 1 hour, yet I received 3.2% packet loss (this might have been the same before) I just tested it for about 10 minutes before.

• 8.  RE: Aruba Wi-Fi Dropping ping 1%

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2017 07:37 AM

Wifi is a shared medium and there will be packet loss.  What is your goal?

• 9.  RE: Aruba Wi-Fi Dropping ping 1%

Posted Jul 13, 2017 10:05 AM

Thee problem is that my device hops from one AP to another, resulting in packet loss, whilst it is standing in one physical location.

This is not normal, if I was changing my physical location and moving from one room to another, it is normal that that the traffic is obviously dropped.

In summary:

NO movement = WITH movement in packet loss.

My goal was to see if there are any setting in Aruba so I can prevent this. Your help is very much appreciated.

• 10.  RE: Aruba Wi-Fi Dropping ping 1%

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2017 10:50 AM

The client determines what access point it connects to and when it roams.  What client is this?

• 11.  RE: Aruba Wi-Fi Dropping ping 1%

Posted Jul 14, 2017 07:18 AM

Mostly those are HP laptopts (different models) which our company is using, but I also tried it with Apple MAC and the same issue occured.

• 12.  RE: Aruba Wi-Fi Dropping ping 1%

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 14, 2017 09:55 AM

It is best that you open a TAC case in parallel to this post so that they can observe your logs and see what could be causing your issue.

We would only be guessing here based on the limited information that you post.