Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Aruba controller

We have a 3400 controller with 52 access points. We are in the process of extending our wifi and it means adding 25 more access points. As our controller is capable only up to 64 we will have to purchase one more controller. Can you please let advice on below if it is possible,

1. Buy a controller with 32 Ap capacity and then combine it with 3400 controller to form one wifi network.

2. Migrate the licences and AP from existing controller to a new controller eg:7205 ? 

Please advice,

MVP

Re: Aruba controller

Personally I would got for option 2 as Aruba have dropped support for the 3400 controller at AOS version 6.4.
Cheers
James

-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------@whereisjrw-------------------
------------------------blog-------------------------
ACCX #540 | ACMX #353 | ACDX #216
-----------Mobility First Expert #11----------

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.

Is it possible for the existing Ap licence (105 series) to be migrated from
3400 to 7205 ? Or do I have to purchase extra licence for it?

Regards,
Mohamad
--
Sent from iPhone
MVP

Yes , if those are not built-in licenses .
https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-identify-if-there-is-a-built-in-license-present-on-the/ta-p/239420

You can go the HPE portal and perform a transfer to a new platform
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA

Thanks. So if I buy Aruba 7010  controller and add 22 numbers of 207-Ap's to it then can I  link it to our existing 3400 controller with 52 numbers of 105-AP's ?

My aim is to keep both the controllers and mange both centrally as one controller . Please let me know if it is possible otherwise I will have to look for 7205 controller and move all the Ap's to it.

MVP

Your 3400 controller only supports up to ArubaOS 6.4.x but the AP207 requires ArubaOS 6.5.1.0 so you will not be able to "manage both centrally as one controller".
Cheers
James

-------------------@whereisjrw-------------------
------------------------blog-------------------------
ACCX #540 | ACMX #353 | ACDX #216
-----------Mobility First Expert #11----------

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users via search.
MVP

Hi, the issue you will have is firmware support. The 3400 controller will support a maximum firmware version of ArubaOS 6.4.x. and the AP207 need a minimum firmware of ArubaOS 6.5.1.0 to terminate on a controller.

ACMA, ACMP
If my post addresses your query, give kudos:)

Thanks James & Zalion

So the only option for me now is ,

a. Get a 7205 controller and add all the 105 AP's (including licence) from the 3400 and then add the new 207 Ap's and its licences. Then get rid of 3400.

or

b. Get a 7010 with new 207 ap's and run both controller seperately.

Am i right?  Many thanks for all your help.

MVP

Hi, it would depend on what you are hoping to achieve as the final goal. The licenses are tied to the controller. So you can't for example move the licenses from the 3400 to a 7xxx series controller. A 72xx series controller will far support the capacity of a 3400 controller so you will have future room for growth.

Given that we don't know your environment, there is multiple reasons as too why running two deployments within the same topology will cause issues. 

ACMA, ACMP
If my post addresses your query, give kudos:)

Dear Zallion,Thanks,

We need to add 22 more AP's to cover the new building which we have. And our existing controller has 52 Ap's (105) . I am looking for an option to accomodate the new 22 Ap's in to our network so that for eg: we have mac authentication for one of SSID and if we have two controller we will have to add the mac in both the controllers.

So my goal is to add 22 new AP's in most cost efficient and easily managable way. 

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: