Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba mobility cluster high value traffic classification

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Aruba mobility cluster high value traffic classification

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2018 02:46 AM

how/when/where is the high value traffic classified by the mobility controller in order to be synchronised to standby cluster member ? can the classification be changed ?

• 2.  RE: Aruba mobility cluster high value traffic classification

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2018 11:05 AM

High value sessions are only synchronized in an L2-connected cluster of mobility controllers. If the cluster is L3-connected, then sessions can not be synchronized.

The synchronization is automatic for an L2-connected cluster.

High value sessions are TCP connections like FTP. It should be noted that where priority and/or TOS is changed, or the session is DPI-modified, it becomes a high-value session. So voice going through an ALG, for instance, would be high-value.

• 3.  RE: Aruba mobility cluster high value traffic classification

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2018 04:55 AM

Hello Charlie,

My cluster is L2-Connected.

I can see that my FTP sessions are high value session by default. I tried the same with SSH but the sessions are not classified as high value session by default. I then added a policy for the assigned role to change priority / TOS value for all my SSH sessions. The assigment of the priority / TOS value can be seen with sh datapath session and confirms that the policy is working. Unfortunately I can still not see the SSH sessions synchronized to standby or assigned as high value sessions (sh datapath session high-value). We are running version 8.3.0.0.

Thanks for any feedback.

• 4.  RE: Aruba mobility cluster high value traffic classification

Posted Oct 08, 2018 11:46 PM

I have also witnessed this situation on arubaos 8.3.0.2, but there is a solution.

I tried setting SSH as "high priority" and as TOS=46 for example but here is no "h" in the datapath session and it is not sychronized to the other L2 cluster members.

I has used a rule as such

any any svc-ssh permit queue high tos 46 position 1

intially expecting that to work, but it did not....

i managed to solve the problem by changing the rule to this instead:

any any app ssh permit queue high tos 46 position 1

i believe this is not a bug but in fact how it should be working.

you must use rule type "app" instead of "access-control" to enable the "high value" feature set.  Also, setting tos=x does not seem required, simply setting queue=high seemed to get me the desired "high value" determination.  

I hope this helps

Neal Vadekar

• 5.  RE: Aruba mobility cluster high value traffic classification

Posted Oct 12, 2019 11:08 AM

What command do you use to confirm it was being synchronized to S-UAC?

show datapath session

show datapath session high-value

I've tried to set an app rule for ICMP as a test and I can get it flagged as high-value. Argh