Wireless Access

Regular Contributor I

ArubaOS 6.3.x -> 6.4.x upgrade / GRE Tunnel-Type Requirements

Hi

releasenotes say 

GRE Tunnel-Type Requirements
This section describes the important points to remember when configuring an L2 GRE tunnel with respect to
tunnel-type:
l ArubaOS 6.4.4.0 continues to support L2 GRE tunnel type zero, but it is recommended to use a non-zero
tunnel type.
l If both L2 and L3 tunnels are configured between end point devices, you must use a non-zero tunnel type
for L2 GRE tunnels.

im using simple MC3400 with campus AP105 and few RAP3-WN with basic plain RAP connection. how is there concerning regarding info from releasenotes regarding the L2 GRE tunnel type zero , im stuck in information how far this concern my setup so far. 

the RAP3wn are not zero-touch connected, they are connected with static user/pw/PSK like a classic RAP setup as i learned in 2010. im using CPSec internally for the campus APs and the VPN-services are just straight configured only for the RAPs , there are no L2TP users/IPSEC VPN users connecting direectly to the MC3400.

someone can tell me regarding zero-tunnel in which case this affects perhaps to us ? 

thanks

ben

Guru Elite

Re: ArubaOS 6.3.x -> 6.4.x upgrade / GRE Tunnel-Type Requirements

Link to release notes?

Just guessing that this only refers to site to site GRE tunnels, NOT GRE tunnels created by access points.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Regular Contributor I

hi cjoseph,

well the copy/paste info is just from releasenotes 6.4.x , it's everywhere mentioned in 6.4.x releasenotes and i just dont know if this concerns my setup at all . 

do you really want link to releasenotes , i dont think this helps as copy/paste is the same written there.

Guru Elite

It only relates to site to site GRE deployments.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Hi Colin,

Consider this as an example:

interface tunnel 88

description "Tunnel to anchor"

tunnel mode gre 88

tunnel source 172.16.32.1

tunnel destination 192.168.15.210

trusted

tunnel vlan 888

!

My question is this command: tunnel mode gre <num>   - is this <num> a 16-bit protocol type of the payload packet as per the GRE packet header in RFC 2784 ???

In the example above, I use tunnel mode gre 88, and the config works.   I changed it to some other number, says 14, it also works.

ArubaOS 6.4.4.0 continues to support L2 GRE tunnel type zero, but it is recommended to use a non-zero tunnel type.     So what is the real use of this <num> as in tunnel mode gre <num>?

Kind regards

Kenneth

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: