Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

We recenttly deployed a MM network with two managed devices.

Today we upgraded to 8.2.1.0.

When we try to create a new wlan we get a message that "creating a wlan rewuires a pef license" an we cannot deploy the new wlan.

Please help!

Occasional Contributor I

Re: ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

Please open a case at Aruba TAC. PEF should not be needed to create an SSID.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Occasional Contributor I

Herman,

If bridge mode is deprecated, the best approuch would be creating the VLANs on DC side and all SSID tunnlled?

The customer has the wireless VLANs spread all over the buildings.

The recommended way with controllers is to run in tunneled mode as much as possible and have the client VLANs only configured on the controller. That makes the configuration at the access point as simple as possible as there is no need to have those distributed access VLANs, and also security is enhanced as there is no access to those VLANs except at the controller. Having no WLAN client vlans at your access layer is one of the benefits/features of having a controller.

If you believe you need bridged VLANs, it could be that Aruba Instant (with Central or Airwave for central management/control/monitoring) is the better solution. Please work with your local Aruba partner or Aruba SE to get proper guidance for your specific scenario as exceptions may apply.

I noticed that in 8.2.1, the option to create bridged VLANs is available in the GUI again, it still is preferred to use tunneled SSID mode.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
New Contributor

Hello,

I am facing the same issue. Is there a workarround except configuring it manually with all profiles on the CLI?

Greetings,
Hendrik

Occasional Contributor I

Hi,

we have the same problem here with a customer. Is this a bug in the firmware, that is likely to be fixed in the future, or is it intended beaviour in Aruba OS and PEF will be mandatory?

Regards,

Marian

While PEF is highly recommended and provides many features like QoS, advanced security, Application visibility, and should be strongly recommended for every deployment, I'm not aware of any intention to make PEF mandatory.

Everyone who experiences this issue, please open an Aruba TAC case and ask them for a proper solution as you should be able to add WLANs without PEF license.

--
New Contributor

Hi,

I just got a response from TAC:

Yes there has been a change in the Design starting from 8.2.1.0 which has made mandatory now. Unfortunately this has not yet documented.

It looks like the made it mandantory now, but I'm in contact with my Systems Engineer to get mor information about this. I'll keep you posted.

This will be getting corrected in the next 8.2.1.1 release

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: