Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Auditorium Wireless Design

We are designing wireless as a part of our auditorium renovations.  I've been reading the Aruba white paper on designing for high client density areas:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/DG_HighDensity_VRD.pdf

Based on this, I'm looking at floor mounting 7 attennas staggered throughout the room underneath seats to handle the bulk of the clients.  The attennas would connect down to AP214's mounted above the ceiling on the floor below.  I'm thinking that ANT-16 is the most appropriate antenna for the job, but I'm not sure.  I would also mount 2 AP215's to cover the whole room for devices in the balconies and other devices that may not reach the floor APs.

Does anyone have hands on expierence with this type of design?  Do you all have any guess to active client densisties that we would be able to support?

Also, a side-bar question.  Other than the additional uplink port, is there actually any reason to go up to the AP220 series over the AP210 series?  As is, I don't see any reason to go up to that series.

Thanks!

Guru Elite

Re: Auditorium Wireless Design

[ Edited ]

MooreALX,

Can you share the dimensions or a generic floorplan of the area you would like to cover?

Mounting on the ceiling is the preferred method here with built-in or omnidirectional antennas.  Mounting under the floor could probably be the most expensive and  is usually reserved for stadiums.  Mounting on the floor with external antennas could require a box for protection and could require more testing to ensure you get the coverage pattern that you need with possible objects being over the in-floor antennas....

Please see the AP matrix here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/MAT_AP.pdf to see a side-by-side comparison of the AP224/225 series vs. the 204/205.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

The attached heatmap is showing the design that we are looking at.  The two APs that I circled in blue are flanking the stage, and would be the two AP215s positioned to cover the entire room with signal.  The rest would be the 214's that we've been discussing.  The auditorium is roughly 120' x 85'.

The other possibility that we've thought about to avoid damage to the antennas would be to go to ANT-18' and mount them at the heigth of the suspended ceiling on the floor below pointing up in the same pattern that we are looking at for the other design that I mentioned.  This is actually one of our older buildings on campus, and has a wood decking floor that would be easy to get signal through.

I understand the differences between the 204/205's and the higher series.  Other than the second uplink, I don't see the difference between the 214/215's and the 224/225's.

Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

MooreALX,

What is the capacity of the auditorium?

What is the mounting heights of the access points if you put them on the ceiling?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

The room holds roughly 1600 people.  We are currently covering the room with 2 AP115's.  One is located in the auditorium, the other is on the floor below centered under the main group of people.  We typically see 100-150 connected clients per AP when the room is filled to capacity.  We don't have any plans to have a senereo where we would have the room filled to capacity and have everyone connected.  However, we would like to gain the ability to have several hundred people all connected during a smaller gathering for an online test or online survey.

Everything I'm reading states that the 214/215 is capible of 3 spatial streams, only the 204/205 is 2 stream.

Guru Elite

The 220 series has more horsepower and definitely should be used in an HD area like an auditorium.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Occasional Contributor I

I've heard these claims of "horsepower".  With no official specs showing any differences and no studies that I'm aware of showing any real world differences, I'm not inclined to spend the extra money to go with the 220 series over the 210, and it would be an uphill battle to get leadership to buy in.

Guru Elite

That's your decision :-)

The 220 is designed for high density enivornments.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Aruba

The 225 has twice the CPU and RAM compared to the 215. That is why it is said to have more horsepower.

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
MVP

cappalli and mike statement are correct, here's more information to validate that information:
http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/TR_Novarum.pdf

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/TR_Aruba_WiFi_Performance.pdf

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: